- Bought from a private collector of Lambrettas
- High quality restoration work
- Kept garaged and pampered
- Said to run and ride fine
The origins of Lambretta trace back to scaffolding company Fratelli Innocenti who used their steel working knowledge to make aircraft bombs during WWII. Post war, they realised the need for a low-cost vehicle for the working class and used their tube fabricating skills to form the frame for a budget priced scooter (some even suspect that the first frames were made of scaffold tubes!). Named Lambretta – after their Lambrate factory near the Lambro river – the scooter was inspired by the British Welbike, made in Birmingham by Excelsior that had been parachuted into battle for use by paratroopers.
Innocenti developed this idea into a production ready scooter and managed to get the first few models on display at the Paris Exhibition in March 1948. Incredibly they managed to make some 9,660 of their first ‘Type A’ models by October 1948.
This particular model is an early 1951 Type C model, which was available in only four colours: green, grey, beige and red. Naturally it sported a tubular frame and two seats. This particular example was bought from a Lambretta collector whose collection numbered over 50 examples – including the original Quadrophenia bike – who had it restored to near museum quality. It’s in stunning original condition for a 72-year old!
The History and Paperwork
- V5C present
- Only 2 UK owners since 2015
- Historic (free) vehicle taxation class
- Does not need an MoT
- Came from an avid Lambretta collector
- Looks to be in original specification
- Paintwork has all been restored and looks great
- Correct Aquila Continentale seats fitted
- Lunchbox and underseat tool container
- Original style stickers for fuel tank
- Period information sticker on legshield
- Condition of all items looks excellent
- Headlamp and tail-light uncracked
- Minor patination on headlamp bezel
- Frame and underside of floor looks to be a great condition
- 125cc engine is said to run fine
- Brakes and suspension all seemed fine
- Vendor says the scooter rides well with no known issues
- Rear tyre Vee Rubber in 4.00-8 55J (dated 2010) with ample tread
- Front tyre Sava Vran 4.00-8C B13 (dated 2007) with good tread
- Minor fluid weep from fuel tank hose
- Slight surface rust on engine cooling fins and exhaust
You’re not buying a scooter if you invest in this C125, but a piece of Italian industrial design art. Unlike the overly ornate later Lambrettas, the early Fifties exposed engine models are a masterpiece in elegant simplicity. The scooter has all the equipment it needs, nothing more, all shaped with an Italian flourish. This one is fully rideable and ready to go, or you might simply want it as the ultimate addition to your scooter collection or mancave. Either way, it’s a fantastic early restored Model C.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions