Vendor supplied images
- Highly original 2nd-gen Fairlane
- Impressive red and white colour scheme
- Based and registered in Spain as a Historic Vehicle
There are few cars more quintessential to 1950s Automobile culture than the Fairlane. These big, chrome-laden, V8-powered beasts were like liners on the road, a luxurious piece of deco that conjure up the likes of retro Jukeboxes and roadside diners.
This example, originally based in the USA, arrived in Spain a few years ago and underwent a thorough restoration. It’s benefited enormously from being in a ‘dry country’ territory and boasts a very striking, all-red interior.
The History and Paperwork
- Originally built in 1959 at Ford’s Mahwah, NJ plant
- First arrived in Spain in 2007
- Fully restored by its Spanish owners
- Unfortunately, we’re not sure when this restoration was completed
- Indicates 39,097 miles on a five-figure odometer
- Sadly we can’t be sure if this is an authentic mileage
- Due to the vehicle’s age, it is possible it’s been ‘around the clock’
- Spanish registration document
- Highly striking Torch Red interior
- Impressive dashboard with deco and chrome instruments
- Fully restored, though we don’t believe it’s the original trim
The cabin of this impressive Fairlane is a cossetting, deco-themed, candy-red environment that’s hugely evocative - and very striking to modern tastes. The lashings of chrome, the big horizontal speedo, the distinctive steering wheel and the original period radio all make this a very impressive time capsule.
Beautifully restored, the vinyl seats are perfectly presented, with no rips or tears and only the slightest of patina to the distinctive upholstery.
The dash is clear of any significant paint loss - though could do with a dust - and all instruments are nicely presented, with a pleasant, soft patina. The padded door cards are similarly well-kept.
- Highly impressive two-tone paintwork in Torch Red and Colonial White
- Generous levels of chrome throughout
- Original Ford disc wheels
The second generation of the Fairlane is arguably the most iconic. It had a lower, wider, longer body that demanded attention, with the array of two-tone paints making them an irresistible headturner.
This example has been fully restored, but it was some time ago - leading to the odd, light battle scar on its red-and-white paintwork and the slightest patina to its chrome. The vendor particularly points out the scratch on the rear door handle, and a larger one - around 10cm wide - on the passenger’s rear door. However, the rest of the car is in pretty good shape, with only the odd paint chip or swirl across the rest of the car.
The brightwork and glasswork are all in good order, with no significant damage, and all of the Ford branding is nicely presented. The car is sitting on colour-matched disc wheels - which appear to be original - and is wearing tyres that look to have good tread.
Underneath, the car is nice and clean with very light surface corrosion, something that we can attribute to the car’s dry home country.
- Carrying a 332ci 5.4L Interceptor V8 engine, a ‘special’ for the model year
- 3-speed Cruise-O-Matic transmission
- Engine bay appears to be in excellent condition
Popping open the hood of this Fairlane presents a nice, clean and well-kept engine bay, with the impressive special-spec very nicely kept. The vendor notes that the car has been standing still for some time, and may need a bit of mechanical work, but it all looks to be in fine fettle.
With the impressive Interceptor big-block, and the well-reputed Cruise-O-Matic transmission, there’s little doubt that this is sure to be an utter pleasure to drive.
Big, stylish, and beautifully presented, this is a bona fide all-American classic that’s bound to impress. It’s rare we see an example as nicely-kept as this one. We think it’s sure to prove a very seductive prospect for any collector.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions