- Very rare genuine Bonneville T120 ‘Competition’
- U.S. export returning to the U.K. in 2003
- Stunning restored condition
- Matching numbers bike
- Extremely low mileage
Commemorating Johnny Allen’s Triumph land-speed record runs at Bonneville Salt Flats in 1956, the Triumph Bonneville was launched at the 1959 Earls Court Motorcycle Show and was quickly dubbed ‘The best motorcycle in the world’.
Numerous competition entries followed with the first being in 1959 at the Thruxton 500. The T120R was soon developed by Triumph engineers utilising precision-machined cylinder heads and crankcases to further their track successes during the 1960’s.
Outperforming many of it’s American rivals, the T120C was also offered as a lightweight sports street-scrambler, and naturally pandered to the lucrative American market.
Having had a complete cosmetic and mechanical restoration since it’s import in 2003, this highly desirable T120C is in fantastic condition and benefits from a recent service and tune by a professional mechanic - and not forgetting an expert detailed polish by the owner.
Completely ready to admire and ride, this rare ‘Bonnie' is not to be missed…
THE HISTORY AND PAPERWORK
- Manufactured on the 16th September 1960
- Despatched to the USA on the 21st September 1960
- First registered in the U.K. on the 1st June 2003
- Up to date V5 plus two previous V5’s
- Triumph Manufacturer’s ‘Statement of Origin’
- The Triumph Owners Motor Cycle Club dating / confirmation letter
- Two Invoices from Ace Classics London during 2014
- Two previous MOT’s from 2010 / 2011
- Last ‘Pass’ MOT in 2011 at 1,456 miles (exempt)
- Taxed until 1st January 2024 (exempt)
Looking at the accompanying Statement of Origin and a letter from The Triumph Owners Motor Cycle Club, this bike was despatched to The Triumph Corporation, Baltimore, in September 1960 and was subsequently supplied to a distributor in Indiana in June 1961.
Initially residing with the first U.K. owner’s in Hertfordshire, Surrey and Dorset, the current owner, and long-term Triumph enthusiast, acquired it from a collector in January of this year.
Although the mileage cannot be verified, the 2010 MOT indicates a mileage of 1,336, which does suggest a mechanical rebuild was undertaken soon after repatriation to the U.K.
- Restored to a high level
- Correct Bonneville colour scheme
- Glossy painted duplex frame
- Excellent fuel tank with chrome luggage rack
- Presentable handlebars, rubber grips and levers
- Shining chrome work
- Very clean and polished alloy components
- Nice Smiths speedometer, tachometer and Lucas ammeter
- Lucas 700 headlight and undamaged rear light
- Excellent two-tone dual seat with Triumph logo
- Unusual fold-up footrests (American market)
- Superb CWC Dunlop replica chrome rims
- Dunlop Gold seal K70 tyres with good tread depth
- Original 649 cc parallel twin OHV four-stroke
- ‘T120C’ stamp and number clearly visible
- Standard T120 factory spec’ is 46 bhp @ 6,500 rpm
- Top speed of around 115 mph
- Engine rebuild invoice in May 2010 and again during restoration in 2017
- 4-speed gearbox with ‘C’ ratios
- Twin Amal 376 Monobloc carburettors
- Lucas K2F ‘competition' magneto
- Telescopic forks / swing-arm rear suspension
- Standard looking 8” front drum brake / 7” rear
- Centre and side stands
- Painted sump guard and shiny high-level exhausts
This bike has been fully recommissioned by the owner’s professional mechanic and is in very sound order. Having been ridden for a few miles now, the owner can happily report that it “rides really well”.
The beautifully balanced and simple competition ‘Bonnie’ has gained ‘cult’ status among Triumph fans the world over and is sure to be a wise investment nowadays.
Looking fantastic, this shining example is a credit to the restorer(s) and with the tried and tested T120 beneath you, should be a joy to ride.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions