- Highly impressive retro bike
- 492cc two-stroke twin-parallel engine
- Fully restored to a high standard
By the 1970s, Japanese bikes had managed to garner quite the reputation. Suzuki were one of four top-notch brands that were loading modern, to-the-minute bikes onto the British market. Such was the pace of development that bikes quickly became obsolete, rapidly getting replaced with newer, faster, more powerful models. Suzuki’s GT500 flipped expectations on its head, managing to throw back the British competition in style with a two-stroke that defied its limitations. All the same, it only took a few years before it was a ‘value model’, and the bike was looking decidedly behind the times.
Hence rolled out the GT500 - an evolution of the model with a hydraulic disc brake, a larger fuel tank and longer inlets, coming together to create a torquier ride with electronic ignition that kept up with changing requirements. While it was hardly the most powerful bike on the market, it was a superb all-rounder.
Now, it’s practically synonymous with a classic mount - and this example has been beautifully restored to a high standard, offering a superb opportunity to take on a truly legendary bike that’s still highly impressive today.
The History and Paperwork
- Registered in August 1977
- This is an original UK bike, not a later import
- The DVLA records 9 previous owners
- Currently indicates 24.254 miles
- In current ownership since 2017
- MOT exempt
- The bike underwent a thorough restoration in 2021
- Renovation has been carried out by a retired aircraft engineer
- The tanks have also been handpainted by a specialist in Bristol
- No expense has been spared
- The paperwork file includes:
- V5c document
- Invoice for the engine, carb and gearbox rebuild in 2021
- Invoice for the bore, honing and vapour blasting of cylinders and heads in 2018
- Simply exceptional and newly restored
- Metallic blue paintwork is impressively presented
- The yellow and black accents are handpainted by a specialist from Bristol
- This has been done to a superb standard
- Chromework is bright and freshly polished
- The bike also boasts a brand new seat, new grips, switchgear and pegs
- All lenses and glasswork present well with no chips or fractures
- The instruments are all in fine fettle with zero wear to note
- The bike is sitting atop its original 19” front and 18” rear wheels
- These are clean, well-presented, and shod in a superb set of Avon tyres
- 492cc Air-cooled, two-stroke twin-parallel engine
- Five-speed gearbox
- Electronic ignition as standard
- Fully serviced and recommissioned
- Yet to be fully ‘run in’
- Everything is free of wear or tarnish
- We understand the bike to kick up and run with zero issues
- The brakes are strong and working as expected
Beautifully restored, and exceptionally presented, this is a winning example of a two-stroke smoker with sheer charisma on its side. We’ve no doubt it’ll become a very cherished mount for the lucky new owner.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions