- Plenty of potential
- 2.4 litre diesel
- Good stainless steel & aluminium box body
The Volkswagen LT (Lasten-Transporter heavy-load transporter) has been around since 1975. It was available in various forms ranging from campervans, tippers, crew cabs, passenger buses and chassis cabs such as this, which can be used for several different situations depending on your requirements. One thing is for sure: the Volkswagen LT is a solid workhorse which doesn’t disappoint.
This 1987 example is no exception, although it does appear to have had a relatively light work life with just 75,398 miles covered. It also looks to be in good solid condition on the underside and has an excellent stainless steel and aluminium body. Perfect for many conversions; the only limitation is your imagination.
THE HISTORY AND PAPERWORK
- V5C is present
- Registered 3rd December 1987
- One previous keeper
- Original owner’s handbook
- The LT40 is currently on SORN with no MOT
- The seats are in good condition, covered in the original fabric on the driver's seat and a mix of vinyl and material on the double bench passenger seat.
- Door cards are in reasonably good condition. There is a small amount of damage caused by the window winder on the driver's side
- The dashboard looks to be free from any splits or cracks, albeit a little dusty
- Instruments are reported to be working correctly, with the odometer showing a reading of 75,308 miles
- The tachometer shows 25,039 kilometres
- The switchgear is in good condition, and the vendor reports everything works as it should
- Rubber flooring is in good condition with no rips or tears
- The headlining has sagged toward the rear of the cab area, and there is a small hole
- In the rear, there is a 240v electric socket which can be connected to the 240v hook-up
- There are also some spotlights fitted but not tested
- The rear is a blank canvas waiting to be transformed
- Finished in white with an aluminium frame and stainless steel clad box
- The cab area does have a few minor dings and dents, but there doesn't appear to be a significant amount of corrosion
- Some of the paintwork has been touched up in the past
- The doors fit well with an equal gap
- Fibreglass wind deflector for improved aerodynamics
- The windows are in good condition, with just a few light age-related marks
- Headlights are in good condition with no chips
- One of the front indicator lenses does have a crack in the lens
- The rear lights are in good condition, with no damage
- Stainless steel side panels look to be in good condition
- There are a few small dings and dents to the aluminium frame
- Two hinged panels lift on gas struts to either side, and a single door is fitted to the rear
- The front and twin rear wheels look in good condition, with just a slight amount of surface rust
- 2.4 litre diesel engine
- The vendor reports the LT40 to fire up straight away
- No issues have been reported with the running of the van
- Five-speed gearbox
- The gear change is as you would expect, and no unwanted noises are coming from the transmission
- The brakes are reported to bring the LT to a stop in a straight line
- Looking at the underside of the van, this looks to be very clean with minimal corrosion to mention
What a lot of potential this 1987 LT40 has! Are you looking for a new business venture? Think about it: this is the perfect size van to turn into various businesses such as a burger van, pizza van, bar, coffee van, mobile dog grooming, even a mobile tattooist, the list goes on.
It's a good, solid base, just waiting for someone to take it to the next level.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions