Photos provided by the vendor
- Lightly restored in 2022 by the previous owner
- Remains very original, with the interior left in its factory state
- The original service manual provides detail of past maintenance
- ASI certified
- Said to be running and driving well, with no faults or maintenance required
Following the successful Group A homologated Series 1 RS Turbo, the Series II was based upon the MkIV Escort and refined the winning formula of its predecessor. Introducing a water-cooled Garret turbocharger, lowered gearing, a limited slip differential and a revised chassis setup with stiffened suspension and larger brakes, the Series II was a formidable sports coupé that proved very popular.
Here we have a very smart 1989 example, that was lightly restored last year by the previous owner. It remains very original overall, boasting ASI certification and apparently its original Italian registration plates. The previous owner reportedly used the Ford for local rallies and short trips to keep it in fine fettle. The vendor states that it’s ready to be used, benefiting from a recent service.
The History and Paperwork
- Last service recorded as December 2022
- A number of Ford Italy and independent stamps in the original service booklet
- Partially restored in 2022 to refresh the car cosmetically and mechanically
- 93,790 kilometres indicated - which the service book seems to report
- ASI registered with all paperwork present
- All registration documentation in order
- Original Recaro seats
- Lightly worn upholstery, exhibiting some pleasing patina
- The carpeting shows its age a little, but remains eminently usable
- The upholstered rear panels have come away slightly, but remain free from tears or holes
- The door panels look to be in good order for their age
- No obvious UV damage to the dashboard
- Equipped with a modern JVC DIN stereo
- All the instrumentation and switches present well
- The headline remains in good overall condition
- A spare wheel can be found inside the boot
- Said to have been repainted in 2022
- The white paint looks to have been applied to a high standard and exhibits very few imperfections
- Straight bodywork with no corrosion or damage apparent
- Bonnet louvres and spot lamps hint at its sporting pedigree
- The alloy wheels have been refinished and so look to be in great shape
- Equipped with a clear sunroof
- Appears very smart underneath, with no corrosion reported by the vendor
- 1.6-litre turbocharged, intercooled inline-four
- Five-speed manual gearbox
- Ford claimed 132 bhp and 125 mph when new
- The last service recorded as December 2022
- The vendor informs us that the engine serviced and the front suspension was replaced during the partial restoration
- We’re informed that it is driving impeccably and is ready to be used by its next owner
The Escort RS Turbo is a real hero car for us and a great many enthusiasts alike. This looks to be a really fine and quite original example that’s in great, usable condition.
If you’re looking for an ‘80s race car for the road, we urge you to consider this classic Ford.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions