- Superb example of Ducati’s tribute to Troy Bayliss’ 2008 World Championship win
- Fewer than 250 miles covered and presenting in virtually as-new condition
- Phenomenal performance superbike with 180 BHP from an 1198cc L-twin engine
Released in 2009 to honour Troy Bayliss’ 3rd and final World Superbike Championship win, the 1098R Bayliss Limited Edition was the ultimate iteration of Ducati’s superb 1098R superbike.
A race homologation special, the 1098R represented the culmination of 10 years of work by Bayliss and the Ducati racing team, during which time they undertook a process of continual development and track-based refinement with the aim of producing a world-beating superbike.
Based on the 1098R and capped to a total production run of only 500 units worldwide, the 1098R Bayliss Limited Edition model represented the ultimate iteration of Ducati’s masterpiece and featured Bayliss’s own livery amongst a number of other unique elements.
Featuring a 1198cc L-twin engine capable of delivering 180 BHP and 99 Ib-ft of torque, the 1098R is, as one would expect, a phenomenally quick bike. With 60 MPH dispatched in fewer than 3 seconds and a top speed in excess of 170 MPH, the 1098R was a true record breaker and at the time of its release produced the highest torque-to-weight ratio of any production sport bike ever made.
Offered here for auction in essentially as-new condition, this 1098R Bayliss has covered fewer than 250 miles in the past 14 years since its production. Coming with all its original factory accessories and a boxed commemorative desk plaque, this 1098R Bayliss would surely make a very special addition to any collection.
The History and Paperwork
- V5 present
- MOT expired 09/03/2022, last MOT issued with no advisories
- Currently registered as SORN’d
- Original Owner’s manual
- Supplied with a letter from Ducati UK confirming production date and specification
- Copy of Certificate of Conformity document from Ducati Italy
- Large attractive desk plaque in a presentation box featuring the bike’s unique edition number of 104 / 500 and the engraved signatures of Troy Bayliss and Gabriele Del Torchio
- Branded protective cover specific to the 1098R Bayliss Limited Edition
- Ducati paddock stand
- 2 keys, Ducati Monster fob and code card
- Gorgeous Aldo Drudi designed livery unique to the 1098R Bayliss Limited Edition
- Exceptional condition commensurate with the bike’s delivery mileage
- Benefiting from an excellent storage environment since acquisition
- Complete with additional 1098R Bayliss Limited Edition accessories
Having enjoyed storage in ideal conditions since acquisition by its current owner in 2018, this 1098R Bayliss still presents today in essentially as new condition. With fewer than 250 miles on the clock this bike has clearly led a cherished life as part of a collection and consequently has seen only the most sparing of use.
Taking a step back to appreciate the complete form of this 1098R Bayliss, you could be forgiven for thinking this is a brand new bike. Immaculate and virtually unmarked, its livery designed by Aldo Drudi especially for Bayliss’ final appearance in Portugal is truly stunning. Combining elements of the red and white colours of the Ducati-Xerox racing team with the Australian flag, Drudi once again proved his mastery of livery design.
Finished off with stunning elements of exposed carbon fibre and a subtle model designation on the tail, this is a superbike that truly looks as well as it performs.
Specific elements relating to the Bayliss edition beyond its livery serve to only further enhance the visual appeal of the 1098R, these elements including features such as the carbon fibre heat shield over the exhaust and the uniquely numbered plaque over the top fork clamp.
Sitting on its lightweight forged Marchesini wheels shod in Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa rubber, the 1098R Bayliss really is the perfect representation of form following function. A track-honed weapon for the road and a representation the very apex of superbike design and engineering, the legendary 1098R Bayliss Limited Edition really is a bike without peers.
- Astonishingly powerful 1198cc Testastretta Evoluzione engine capable of delivering 180 BPH and 99 Ib-ft of torque
- Superb chassis and suspension engineering giving the rider ultimate control and feel
- Featuring an improved 2009 version of the Ducati Traction Control system featuring 8 degrees of control and giving less intrusive engagement through both fuel and spark management
Being a homologation special, everything about Ducati’s 1098R was focused on its ability to deliver exceptional performance both on the track and road.
A great bike starts with a great chassis and here the 1098R features a steel trellis frame fitted with an aluminium monoposto subframe, providing a significant 50% reduction in weight over its steel equivalent. Both strong and lightweight, this arrangement ensures excellent feedback for the rider, even in the most demanding of conditions.
Fitted to this excellent chassis is Ducati’s tremendous Testastretta Evoluzione engine, an L-twin unit capable of delivering 180 BPH to the rear wheels and featuring race specification internals such as titanium connecting rods, over-sized chrome-nitride coated titanium valves and higher lift cams.
The 1098R also benefits from fitment of a racing exhaust system featuring Termignoni carbon fibre mufflers and a dedicated race ECU.
Connecting the bike to the road is a superb Öhlins suspension setup, featuring a 43 mm inverted fork arrangement at the front and a TTX-R twin tube shock at the rear. Finally, providing almighty stopping force, a superb Brembo braking system.
A truly special iteration of Ducati’s superb sports bike, the 1098R Bayliss Limited Edition takes the winning 1098R formula to the next level.
Offered here in essentially as-new condition and with fewer than 250 miles on the clock, this particular example of the 1098R Bayliss Limited Edition has to be one of very best examples currently available on the market anywhere.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions