- Well maintained and in fantastic condition
- Great example of this ‘gentleman’s motorcycle’
- Rare survivor with enthusiastic following
- Technologically unusual post war bike
- Relaxing and comfortable classic
The S8 may have been inspired by a German bike but it aimed at a particularly English type of buyer. Conceived as a powerful, comfortable machine for the discerning ‘gentleman motorcyclist,’ the S8 rejuvenated a pre-war brand synonymous with racing success.
It was influenced by BMW’s R75 but to avoid appearing too Germanic utilised a longitudinally mounted BSA engine that was good for 85mph. The S8 was expensive but that isn’t the main reason why only 8,530 left the factory. Subsequent improvements never enabled the bike to shed its reputation for being unreliable.
The S8’s rarity and unusual design and specification mean it now has an enthusiastic owners scene. This lovely 1950 example will surely appeal to them, offered as it is in fantastic condition with evidence of ongoing maintenance.
The History and Paperwork
- First UK registered on 15th July 1950
- Just two owners from new
- Described by the seller as being well maintained and in fantastic condition
- The S8 was a simplified version of the earlier S7 but still very expensive
- The S8 was designed to be much lighter, sportier and more reliable than the S7
- Well preserved, highly original S8 in excellent condition
- Beautifully styled bike with great BSA detailing
- Chromed wire wheels with narrow tyres than S7 to improve ride
- Attractive cast aluminium silencer
- Two sprung saddles reflect the comfortable ‘gentleman racer’ aesthetic
- Unusual ignition module on side of engine with ammeter
- Smiths dials in original, unrestored condition with reverse sweep
- 485cc longitudinally mounted engine based on 1932 BSA unit
- 85mph maximum speed capability
- 4spd gearbox with dry clutch
- BSA forks
- 24bhp capability
BEFORE YOU BUY
This sale is subject to the Car & Classic Terms and Conditions. By bidding and/or making an offer, you also agree to the following:
If the seller is registered as a private seller
, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply. Car & Classic’s return policy
A non-refundable deposit
will be payable if you are the winning bidder at auction or if your offer is accepted, refer to FAQs
✓ This vehicle is “Sold As Seen”, on an “As Is, Where Is’ basis and without warranty. A full inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase and bidding is highly recommended. Photos and descriptions are for guidance purposes only.
✓ VAT is included in the buyer's deposit. VAT may or may not be included in the final bid or offer price, as specified in the listing.
✓ UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check, to verify that they show no insurance database markers for damage or theft, and have no finance owing.
✓ Buyers are responsible for vehicle collection or delivery.