- Previously entered in the prestigious Mille Miglia Storica
- Automotoclub Storico Italiano (ASI) Gold plate
- Recently serviced and now ready to use
- Beautifully presented, inside, out, underneath and mechanically
- Restored, retrimmed and repainted by the previous owner in Brescia
Marketed by Alfa Romeo as "The family car that wins races", the 1900 platform formed the basis of everything from four-door saloons to coachbuilt coupés. With a powerful twin-cam engine, double wishbone front suspension and rigid unitary construction, the 1900 was a true driver’s car and it’s no wonder that it finished well in numerous events. In spite of the monocoque construction, special provision was made in the design for traditional carrozzerias to build their own versions and the esteemed Pinin Farina were amongst those granted contracts.
We’re delighted to offer this exquisite Pinin Farina 1900 C Sprint which has spent most of its life in Italy. Restored by the previous owner and recently serviced, we understand that it is ready to be enjoyed. It previously entered the Mille Miglia Storica in 2017 so the vendor comments that the car would be eligible for a number of prestigious events. Complete with a lengthy Estratto Cronologico, FIVA card, and ASI certificate, this is a storied example with rich history.
For anyone seeking an exemplary ‘50s sporting coupé, we can heartily recommend this 1953 Pinin Farina bodied Alfa Romeo.
The History and Paperwork
- One of 100 apparently made in this bodystyle, with only 36 examples currently predicted to have survived
- First registered in late September 1953
- Supplied new to Italy where it remained until quite recently with a number of owners over the years
- Automotoclub Storico Italiano (ASI) Gold plate and accompanying certification
- Complete with a lengthy Estratto Cronologico
- FIVA card present
- Continues to display Italian registration plates
- Currently resides in the Czech Republic
- Restored by the previous owner, in Brescia, Italy
- Took part in the 2017 Mille Miglia Storica
- 45,431 kilometres displayed - although we’re unable to corroborate this
- Equipped with the period correct, but not original 1308 Type engine
- Recently serviced and reportedly ready to drive
- New beige interior fitted during previous ownership
- Very well presented
- Very little wear
In typical Italian fashion, this is a beautifully appointed interior which is luxurious without being at all showy. We’re informed that the previous owner had all the upholstery replaced when they were restoring the car, so much of what you see is relatively new.
The beige velours are edged with subtle brown piping and they look to be in really good order. This car was designed for touring over great distances, so comfort ranked highly on Alfa’s agenda. There’s very little wear to any of the seats, with no obvious marks or damage we could see.
Owners of this 1900 C haven’t been afraid to use it in recent years, but it has clearly been treated with the utmost care at all times. We noticed some small marks and potentially stains in the driver’s footwell around the pedals, but nothing that’s especially noticeable. Overall, the carpeting presents immensely well and we really enjoy the colour. The headlining and door cards look to be impeccable, as do the sun visors and items of door furniture.
The metal dashboard has evidently been refinished to a very high standard and the paint really gleams. The period radio is a nice touch and we observe that all the instrumentation and switchgear appears in excellent order. The controls have been allowed to wear some of their age, which we feel was a great decision made by previous owners. There’s no substitute for originality - where it can be preserved - and we adore the patina of use accrued on the steering wheel, pedals and gear selector.
- Original coachwork by Pinin Farina
- Repainted in Rosso Matador during the restoration
- Attractive wire wheels
It would be remiss of us not to acknowledge this car’s sheer, indefatigable elegance. This has to be some of Pinin Farina’s most accomplished coachwork and this Alfa Romeo looks simply magnificent from every conceivable angle.
We understand that this example’s bodywork was restored by the previous owner and the Rosso Matador paintwork is not particularly old. The work was evidently executed to a great standard as there are very few imperfections to the paint or body. The car shines brightly in the sunlight and we couldn’t see any flaws in those seductive curves. All the panels seem to align correctly, with the doors shutting precisely.
We noticed a few superficial blemishes to the chrome and badging, but like the aforementioned controls, we appreciate how this car hasn’t been over-restored. There’s no excessive pitting and all trims, including the bumpers appear straight with no damage immediately apparent.
It sits atop immaculate wire wheels which we note to be in lovely order.
- Non-original although period correct Tipo 1308 1975 cc DOHC engine fitted
- Four-speed manual gearbox with column change
- Unrestored, original spare engine block included in the sale
The vendor informs us that a recent service included the following work:
- The original and rare exhaust was restored
- A repair was carried out to the gear selector - (new Nikasil bushings)
- New spark plugs and fluids
- Brakes overhauled
- Rebuilt starter motor
- Driver's door lock repaired
Amongst the innovations Alfa Romeo are most well known for is of course their legendary twin-cam engines. While this 1900 C Sprint no longer has its original engine, the vendor shows us that a period-correct Tipo 1308 1975 cc unit is fitted. Following its recent service, we understand the car to be running well and driving wonderfully.
These were relatively powerful machines in their day, with low mass and taught handling held them in high esteem by skilled drivers. This Alfa is a brilliant car to drive, responding well to generous throttle inputs and eager to make fast-paced progress. The vendor does not report any issues and the car was of course carefully prepared for its Mille Miglia outing back in 2017.
This is a simply superb example of an exceedingly special car.
Previously restored to a very good standard, presented with a detailed history file, serviced and now ready to be used, this Alfa Romeo 1900 C Sprint is sure to be the focal point of any collection.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Shipping and transfer
Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased. Car & Classic may refer a shipping company that also deals with import/export paperwork. Prices start at €150+VAT within the same country or €400+VAT for moves across borders. For more details, email [email protected]