- Older restoration
- 1.6-litre boxer engine
- Presented in overall very good condition
- Retrimmed interior
- Delivered new to Portugal
Whether it’s lazy days in the countryside, packing in a bunch of mates for a day at the beach or being forced by your dad to camp in a soggy field outside Grimsby, everyone has a VW Type 2 story. Their enduring popularity means they remain a focal point of many people’s lives and are still a very common sight on our roads.
Of course, finding one in good condition – particularly one free of the dreaded tin-worm – is no mean feat. So it is that we’re delighted to be able to present this very handsome example, very well preserved and in a strikingly bold colour scheme.
Being resident in the warm climes of Portugal has clearly benefited this charming old bus, although we’re sure a full restoration by the previous owner has helped to keep it looking fit and fresh too. Now looking for a new owner, don’t miss out on this opportunity to acquire a very fine example of one of the most revered and loved machines ever created.
The History and Paperwork
- Supplied new to Portugal in April 1968
- Three owners from new
- Current owner since 2014
- The vendor purchased the vehicle from a collector who had restored it
- Portuguese registration documents
- Apparently a matching numbers vehicle
- We’re told that the van has a part service history, with work carried out by specialists
- IPO (Portuguese MOT equivalent) to April 2024
- 67,786Km on a five-figure odometer, which the vendor believes to be genuine
- Smartly retrimmed beige vinyl upholstery with blue piping, still in good overall condition with no damage or significant wear we could see
- White vinyl headlining remains in good order, with no sagging, tears or staining apparent
- The driving compartment features thick rubber floor matting, while the rear compartment and boot area is finished with dark grey carpet
- White curtains adorn the windows of the rear compartment
- The instruments, gauges and driving controls all present nicely, with some light and attractive patina
- We’re told that everything in the cabin works as it should, with the vendor reporting no faults or issues
- A fire extinguisher is mounted between the two front seats
- At the rear, there is a generous boot area behind the rear bench, this also contains a full-size spare wheel
- Unique blue and white paintwork, which is wearing nicely and still looks very presentable indeed – there are some blemishes and scuffs, but they all appear quite minor
- Rear top-hinged hatch and large, practical sliding door to the passenger side
- All of the bodywork looks very tidy and clean, with straight panels and no evidence we could discern of corrosion or notable damage
- Aftermarket rear lamp clusters and twin front driving lamps
- The brightwork is generally in nice condition, with a little light pitting in places
- White steel wheels with colour-coded blue hub caps, all looking to be in good order with no significant scuffing or marking
- The tyres seem to be in good order, with decent tread and no damage to the sidewalls we could see
- The underside of the van is in exceptionally good order, with no corrosion or damage on display and nice, straight floors and sills
- 1,584cc flat-four engine, believed to be the original unit
- Manual transmission
- Rear-wheel drive
- The vendor tells us that the engine was comprehensively overhauled in 2021 and operates very well, with smooth running and no faults to declare
- We’re told that the vehicle shifts gear well, stops was it should and steers nicely, with no leaks, smoke or untoward noises declared
Very well preserved, in a highly practical and usable specification, we think this charming Type 2 would make a delightful addition to any collection. For anyone that’s been looking for a clean example of this design classic, we think you’ll struggle to find one more solid or well presented than this.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased. Car & Classic may refer a shipping company that also deals with import/export paperwork. Prices start at €150+VAT within the same country or €400+VAT for moves across borders.