***Vendor supplied images***
- Solid and original example of the ‘coke bottle’ second generation Torino
- GT specification and equipped with the powerful Windsor V8
- Honest and presentable but with scope for improvement
- Burbly, stylish and practical four seater convertible
Ford’s Torino was the firm’s mid-market offering and for the second generation model the firm looked to the skies for inspiration. Bill Shank designed the new car to emulate the ‘coke bottle’ styling of 1950s supersonic aircraft with their narrow waists and bulging for and aft fuselages.
GT trim signalled a more sporting focus for this big muscle car and there was the option of a vast convertible roof that folded flat behind the rear seats.
This solid and original Torino GT seems to offer a good basis for a rolling restoration. With acres of space for four and a relaxing driving experience, it looks like a fascinating slice of early 70s Americana.
The History and Paperwork
- 1970 Torino GT finished in white over blue vinyl interior
- Unfortunately we did not have access to the car’s service or maintenance history at the time of writing
- Spacious four seater in what appears to be original condition
- Stylish blue vinyl 'faux leather’ seats in well preserved condition
- The interior is complete and generally presentable but with scope for improvement
- Some wear and tears in the driver’s seat
- Strip speedo typical of American sporting cars of this era
- Dashboard and switchgear in good condition
- Original dished 3 spoke wood-effect wheel with some deterioration
- Blue dashboard with limited switchgear and some modified switches
- Dashboard vinyl has stretched in places
- Stylish door cards in original condition with some patination
- Column shift automatic
- Svelte, unadorned ‘coke bottle’ muscle car styling some of the best of the era
- Nice detailing such as the bonnet scoop, concealed headlights and contoured bumpers
- Solid and complete bodywork in generally presentable condition
- The paintwork appears original but is dull and would benefit from a polishing regime
- Original badging present and correct and in fair condition
- Classic Torino wheel trims in good condition equipped, of course, with whitewalls
- Straight panels with no significant damage or deterioration visible
- Some light surface rust visible in the A post door shuts
- Underside appears to be solid and with healthy coat of underseal
- Vendor states that the car is fitted with a 5.5litre V8
- Torino GTs were fitted with the 302cuin 4.9litre version of the Windsor V8
- Photographs of the engine bay of this car indicates that it is fitted with the 302 Windsor mill
- 3spd automatic gearbox with column shift
- At the time of writing we did not have any service history to verify the mileage
The second generation Torino introduced some of the nicest styling of the muscle car era, a svelte, uncluttered design that echoed the jet age. These big, burbly cars are rare yet practical four seaters that richly evoke the classic era of Americana.
Looking highly original, this handsome Torino GT convertible seems like a great base for a rolling restoration. With an interesting alternative to the usual muscle car fare at the end, it will surely also be rewarding.
BEFORE YOU BUY
This sale is subject to the Car & Classic Terms and Conditions. By bidding and/or making an offer, you also agree to the following:
If the seller is registered as a private seller
, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply. Car & Classic’s return policy
A non-refundable deposit
will be payable if you are the winning bidder at auction or if your offer is accepted, refer to FAQs
✓ This vehicle is “Sold As Seen”, on an “As Is, Where Is’ basis and without warranty. A full inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase and bidding is highly recommended. Photos and descriptions are for guidance purposes only.
✓ VAT is included in the buyer's deposit. VAT may or may not be included in the final bid or offer price, as specified in the listing.
✓ Buyers are responsible for vehicle collection
or delivery. Importing vehicles may result in additional customs duties and import taxes. On request, Car & Classic may refer you to a third-party shipping company. For more details, email [email protected]
. Prices start at €150+VAT within the same country or €400+VAT for moves across borders.