- Attractive “long tail” Le Mans body
- Full four seater, one of approximately 400 made
- Well fitting soft top with side screens, plus full tonneau
- Good history with plenty of work completed
Introduced in 1932 the immortal Singer Nine became one of the most popular and successful pre-war British sports cars. What really set the Nine apart was its success in the trials and reliability events of the day.
As with many sports cars in the early 1930s, Singers were thinly disguised competition cars that could be driven as normal transport during the week, but with little more than the removal of a spare wheel, could be winning on the track at the weekend. In 1933 Singer entered a field of 9hp Sports models at Le Mans finishing in a creditable 13th overall position.
In 1935 a four-seat version of the Le Mans was also available, somewhat of a hybrid of the Sports and the regular Le Mans. This example was built in late 1934 as a four seat Sports Le Mans, was purchased by the Seller from a friend in 2008. He has enjoyed driving the Singer for more than 3,000 miles over the past fifteen years, using it primarily for local shows and road trips.
It has received plenty of regular maintenance plus plenty of more major work by marque specialists when necessary. Running well and fun to drive, it is offered in good and nicely original condition.
History and Paperwork
- Built in December 1934
- Purchased by the Seller from a friend in 2008
- V5c in the Seller’s name
- Used regularly for local events and shows
- Driven on the Continent by previous owner on Singer rally
- DVLA MoT history from 2006 at 4,894 miles
- Last MoT in 2012 at 6,826 miles
- History folder with invoices and receipts for all work completed
- Engine partially rebuilt in 2012 by John Blason due to worn bearings
- Starter motor replaced and steering rebuilt by Robert Elliott in 2011
- Gearbox rebuilt by Ian Blackburn in 2012
- Brake cylinders replaced in 2014
- Brake master cylinder replaced in June 2021
- Owner’s manual
- Black leather interior with black carpets
- Black leather seats with creasing and expected wear
- Black carpet with some wear, especially beneath pedals
- Folding soft top roof with drop in side windows, fits well, erects and stows correctly
- Full size, zipped tonneau cover
- Wooden dash in good condition, complete with St Christopher badge and Singer Le Mans plaque
- Original Jaeger instruments, all functioning correctly
- Original four banjo spoke steering wheel
- Overall aged but acceptable condition with plenty of character
- Singer Le Mans four seater body with longer, flowing tail and enclosed spare wheel
- White paintwork in aged condition with expected chips and marks
- Windscreen and headlight light lenses in good condition
- Additional later Lucas rear indicators and lights
- 18 inch Rudge-Whitworth knock-off wire wheels
- Part worn set of Dunlop tyres
- Spare wheel mounted within boot
- Correct Singer Le Mans badging and trim
- Rear mounted luggage rack with large picnic basket
- In general the exterior is smart and useable, but with scope for improvement
- 972cc 4 cylinder Overhead cam engine with 36hp
- Engine partially rebuilt in 2012
- Twin Solex carburettors
- Four speed manual gearbox, rebuilt in 2012
- Brake master cylinder replaced in 2021
- Slight water leak will be addressed prior to collection
- Clean and solid underside
- Original and presentable engine bay with tools
- Drives nicely and has been reliable and fun to own
The Singer Nine has always been a popular choice and a nice alternative to the more common MG. With a busy Owner’s club offering good events and plenty of socialising it’s no surprise they are a fun car to own.
Singers are relatively simple mechanically with good parts supply and are always in demand; this example is nicely aged, and remains in solid and useable condition, just how we like ‘em!
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions