- Rare heavy-duty G4 M10 variant with all-round leaf spring suspension and beam axles
- Beautifully presented inside, out and underneath
- Powered by a torquey 2.2-litre diesel engine
Following the commercial failure of the technically advanced, yet overcomplicated Austin Champ, BMC looked to the Land Rover for inspiration and developed the strikingly similar Austin Gipsy. Offered at a more competitive price point, the Gipsy proved a popular Land Rover alternative and was produced for ten years until BMC and Leyland merged in 1968.
While most Gipsys utilised the sophisticated “Flexitor” independent suspension design, a heavy-duty variant was later offered in small numbers, with leaf springs all-round - more akin to Land Rovers of the period. Called the G4 M10, here we have one such example, dating from 1964. It is presented in very good overall condition, retaining all of its period charm inside and out. The only real concession to originality is the powerplant - a 2.2-litre diesel engine (also original Gipsy fitment) which replaces this car’s factory petrol unit. We understand that this engine was fitted as a ‘brand new’ replacement in period, although there’s no documentation to confirm this.
For those seeking a novel Land Rover alternative that’s sure to turn heads wherever it goes, this Austin Gipsy would be a most worthy addition to your collection.
The History and Paperwork
- V5C present
- Exempt from road tax and MOT testing
- British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate obtained, confirming the original specifications
- Collection of old MOT certificates
- It would appear that the vehicle has undergone some significant restoration worm in the past, although details of this are not recorded
- 9,333 miles indicated although the true figure is not recorded
- All steel construction - unlike a Land Rover
- The bodywork looks to be very straight and free from signs of corrosion
- Very smart green paintwork with few imperfections overall
- Originally supplied with a soft top although now equipped with a practical hard top roof
- A passenger side windscreen wiper was an optional extra which this example has had from new
- OEM steel wheels shod with period-style off-road tyres
- Two-piece tailgate
- Spartan and hardwearing interior
- Heater optioned from new
- Period-correct green vinyl upholstery with some light patina but no excessive wear
- Sliding windows, again much like a Land Rover of the period
- Additional bench seats in the rear, mounted longitudinally
- Underneath, all looks in fantastic order, with no signs of excessive corrosion to the chassis
- The clean presentation of the underside suggests this car has not spent much time off-road
- 2.2-litre four-cylinder NA diesel engine fitted
- Glow plugs operated via a switch on the dashboard
- Four-speed manual gearbox
- Leaf springs and beam axles front and rear
- Selectable low range and four-wheel drive selected via red and yellow levers - just like a Land Rover
- We understand it to be in very good working order and driving well
BEFORE YOU BUY
This sale is subject to the Car & Classic Terms and Conditions. By bidding and/or making an offer, you also agree to the following:
If the seller is registered as a private seller
, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply. Car & Classic’s return policy
A non-refundable deposit
will be payable if you are the winning bidder at auction or if your offer is accepted, refer to FAQs
✓ This vehicle is “Sold As Seen”, on an “As Is, Where Is’ basis and without warranty. A full inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase and bidding is highly recommended. Photos and descriptions are for guidance purposes only.
✓ VAT is included in the buyer's deposit. VAT may or may not be included in the final bid or offer price, as specified in the listing.
✓ UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check, to verify that they show no insurance database markers for damage or theft, and have no finance owing.
✓ Buyers are responsible for vehicle collection or delivery.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions