- A superb example of the Giardiniera
- Original 70s condition throughout with no modifications
- Registered in Italy
The iconic Fiat 500 was an immediate hit upon its release, but the concept of a compact car meant the obvious drawback of very little utility space. The engineers at Fiat answered calls for a more storage-friendly car with the Giardiniera, with the engine repositioned horizontally to provide more cargo space, the dimensions boosted and the suspension toughened to improve its ability to carry.
The result was all of the character that the car was becoming so beloved for, with the practicality for craftsmen, traders and families. Even if it was largely the same motor within, there was no denying this was a masterpiece of repackaging.
This lovely example is still shining throughout, regardless of its age, and is completely original. The warm red livery, Italian manufacturers stickers and disc wheels all complete the charm as a bona-fide original in its natural habitat.
The History and Paperwork
- Reportedly only three owners from new
- Entire life spent in Italy
- Reported mileage of 89,003km
- We’re told all work has been carried out by the vendor in-house
- Lightly used in recent years, kept within dry storage
- Unrestored and unmodified
- The Fiat 500 interior is present and correct - bare bones and practical throughout
- Entirely original with no modifications to internal fabric
- Black vinyl seats, black fabric accents and red metal dashboard
- Some corrosion to metal gear lever
- Some staining to fabric headlining
- Seats showing some wear but mostly need a wipe down
- A superb example of the Fiat’s minimalist interior aesthetics
- Very well-kept interior metalwork
- Some cracks and dents to base of the storage bed, commensurate with age
- Fuel tank and spare tyre hatch in excellent condition with no major signs of wear
- Distinctive colour scheme
- Presentation is largely superb, with no major paint loss
- Badges and branding all clean and well presented with only minor wear
- Some minor scuffs and scratches commensurate with age
- Wear to rubber seals on doors
- Some visible paint fray to the bottom of sills
- Chrome peel on rear bumper
- Corrosion to underside of vehicle, though we’re informed nothing of concern
- Some signs of wear to the wheels, but very minor
- Good set of tyres with plenty of tread
- Overall, a very well-presented and completely original example
- The distinctive ‘chattering’ Fiat 120 engine is all present and correct in good order
- Some surface corrosion is visible on the floor of the engine bay
- Completely original throughout with no modifications
- The owner informs us of no mechanical faults with the vehicle
- No reports of leaks, smoke or knocking from the engine
- Overall, a very good example throughout
It’s certainly true that the Fiat Giardiniera is no luxury car, something very well reflected in this highly original vehicle. However, it’s all part of the distinctive character of these agile little motors, their distinctive ‘sewing machine’ engines and their simple mechanicals all leading to a truly practical little town car that has endured for decades.
They’re fun to drive, attractive, and always popular with the public. There’s no doubt about it - every classic car owner owes it to themselves to get behind one of these at least once, and the Giardiniera’s extra versatility makes it a perfect pick. This fifty-year-old example is guaranteed to give you an authentic experience from beginning to end.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions