- Subject to an extensive restoration to period specification
- 2.0-litre, twin-carb ‘pancake’ 4-cylinder air-cooled engine with electronic ignition
- Numerous additional items including an extra battery for off-site camping, circuit breaker, Blazecut fire extinguishing system with fuel cut-out, a cover for winter storage, and an awning
Innumerable classics are unfortunately destined to a life where they’re used little, but the Volkswagen Type 2 is a notable exception. During the summer months, these rectilinear bundles of fun can often be seen steadily trotting up and down highways the world over. The Type 2 is to many a symbol of freedom and adventure. They’re eminently usable and when camper converted, a wonderful way to combine your love of classic vehicles with your family holiday plans.
This 1977 example has been comprehensively restored to a very high standard. The features of the original Westfalia Helsinki conversion have been carefully preserved and a great deal of fabrication has been carried out to the bodywork. Mechanically, this late T2 benefits from the 2.0-litre variant of Volkswagen’s inimitable flat-four, boasting twin-carburation and electronic ignition, producing enough power to move these vans along at a quite respectable pace.
If you’re looking for a very sound and eminently usable period-correct Type 2, we can heartily recommend this example.
The History and Paperwork
- Originally a German delivered vehicle
- Acquired by the vendor in 2006 with 25,725 kilometres on the odometer and they used it extensively for family holidays until 2018
- Has seen little use since full resto in 2019-20
- We're informed that the interior is totally original Westfalia including all the curtains.
- The vendor states that every invoice since 2006 is available
- Comprehensive photographic record of the restoration work
- Left-hand drive and located in the Netherlands
- We’re informed that a Class 2 FEHAC report was compiled in September of 2020
- Restored Westfalia Helsinki interior
- Original furnishings restored / recovered where necessary
- Retains all of its character, with some gentle patination in places
- 2014: front seats fully renovated
On the inside, this Volkswagen remains delightfully original, retaining its Westfalia Helsinki appointments which have been restored to a very good standard where required. The cabinetry is in fantastic shape overall, bearing the odd small mark from use, but nothing we’d go so far as to call damage or excessive wear.
We particularly enjoy the vibrant and factory-correct chequered upholstery and especially the green vinyl which finds its way onto the door cards. Up front, the seats appear in very fine shape, with few signs of use since restored. The dashboard looks to be in good order and we understand that everything works correctly from what the vendor has informed us.
In the rear, we find all the camping amenities of the period, a raising roof in good working condition and well appointed living quarters. The carpeting appears to be in great shape, as does the headlining. The vendor reports that everything works as it should, making this camper ready for its next adventure.
Numerous additional items include an extra battery for off-site camping, a circuit breaker, Blazecut fire extinguishing system with fuel cut-out and a manual fire extinguisher easily accessible within the cabin.
- Extensively restored bodywork
- Professionally repainted to a very high standard
- Beautifully presented from every angle
- Cover and awning supplied also
- 2012: fresh cloth fitted to the the tilting roof
- 2017: new awning including rails and side screens
- 2019-2020 full body restoration, reportedly costing around €18,000 by specialist H.B. van Kranen, Krimpen a.d. IJssel NL
The comprehensive photographic record of the restoration work demonstrates the extensive fabrication carried out to this Type 2. The sills, lower corners, cab steps and floors have all received a great deal of attention and new steel sections professionally welded in.
It appears immensely straight down the sides, without any obvious signs of corrosion and the vendor reports that the underside is in fine fettle. The two-tone paintwork was professionally resprayed to a very good standard and we’re hard pushed to spot any notable imperfections. All of the trim looks in good order, including all the chromed parts. The windows appear in nice shape, as do the rubbers and light lenses. The vendor points out that the Hankook tyres are still quite new, having been fitted in 2020.
- 2.0-litre twin-carb ‘pancake’ four-cylinder, air-cooled engine with electronic ignition
- Four-speed manual gearbox
- Said to be running and driving correctly
The vendor informs us that this Volkswagen drives really well, benefiting from one of the best iterations of that legendary flat-four. They report that it starts readily, runs smoothly and provides ample power to make this a very usable camper.
We're informed that the following work was carried out:
- 2007: engine upgrade to a reconditioned 2.0 unit from a VW specialist, incl. new carburettors, electronic ignition and new alternator.
- 2010: steering box rebuilt and new exhaust fitted
- 2015: extra battery for camping fitted (80A), start battery replaced, fridge repaired
- 2018: new starter motor fitted
- 2021: new fuel lines, carbs cleaned, gas hoses replaced, new coupling, new gas bottle, sliding door mechanism cleaned and adjusted
- 2022: new brake master cylinder and brake lines
The vehicle has been fastidiously maintained, and we're informed that It is routinely serviced every 5000 kms by a Volkswagen specialist with the last service at km. 66385. The estimated mileage on this engine is now 30-35,000 kilometres.
We understand it to be driving without fault, changing gear smoothly and coming to a stop in a timely and controlled fashion.
While Type 2 Volkswagens remain a popular classic, seldom do we see what looks to be such a well restored example. The Westfalia Helsinki conversion is particularly usable, and we enjoy how great attention has been devoted to ensuring this van retains its originality.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Shipping and transfer
Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased. Car & Classic may refer a shipping company that also deals with import/export paperwork. Prices start at €150+VAT within the same country or €400+VAT for moves across borders. For more details, email [email protected]
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions