- Engine extensively refurbished at a cost of around £8500
- From the final year of Stag production
- Nicely presented with solid history file
British automotive engineering at its peak. The Triumph Stag is perhaps as good as it gets in terms of classic British roadsters. With its four seater layout, V8 engine and Michelotti exterior design, it was a concept on paper that seemed to be the perfect sports car. The Stag is a marvellous representation of legendary automakers Triumph in their golden hour, and as such, stands in high regard among collectors today.
With values, and general appreciation for the Stag soaring, now seems like a perfect time to jump into the world of Stag ownership and the car we have here would certainly make a great candidate for the role.
The car was bought new by a lady owner and sold at just one yer old to a gentleman in Liverpool who owned it until it was taken off the road in 2002, where it went into in dry storage. Following his passing, it was registered to his wife until 2015.
It was acquired by the vendor a couple of years ago after the previous keeper acknowledged he was too advanced in years to restore it, and over the past two years the vendor and his son, who runs a specialist classic car garage, have returned it to its former glory, renewing every part imaginable with components from well-known specialists. The engine was sent away and rebuilt by Thurston Engineering, which specialises in classic engine rebuilds.
A 1978 model, hailing from the final year of production, this charming white Stag is a great illustration of the coveted nameplate. With an engine overhaul costing in the region of £8500, this presentable example is one to be jumped in and enjoyed right from the first moment of ownership.
The History and Paperwork
- First registered 01/07/1978
- Genuine UK home market car
- Just 4 owners from new, kept for one year by the original purchaser before being acquired by an enthusiast in 1979 and kept by them until 2015
- Ziebart protected at just one year old with accompanying guarantee certificate
- Accompanied by a British Motor Heritage certificate containing various build details about the car
- Backed by a vast history file with invoices dating back into the car’s very early life
- Invoice present for circa £8500 engine rebuild undertaken by specialist outfit Thurston Engineering in 2021
- Both tax and MOT exempt due to the vehicle’s age and historic status
- Despite MOT exemption the car holds a current MOT valid with no advisories until March 2024
- V5 registration document present
- Several volumes of Triumph Stag owners club literature
- Smartly presented, impressively original interior space
- Good quality black upholstery throughout
- Cabin exhibits with just a gentle patina in places
- Seating front and rear is in great form and is notably lacking in signs of age related marking and blemishing
- Three spoke Stag steering wheel in good clean form
- Wood finish six dial dashboard insert is in fine form
- Upper dash panel is in good order and presents as such with limited signs of age or general wear
- Sharp stereo cassette player
- Interior switchgear is wholly presentable throughout
- Spacious cabin with room for four passengers
- Carpeted rear boot area, packed with spare parts for the car
- Well upholstered black door panels at either side of the cabin with clean door furniture and trim
- Front electric windows, the passenger side one seems to work intermittently
- Black carpeting across the cabin floor
- Incredibly stylish with Michelotti exterior design
- Finished from the factory in New White as denoted by the BMH certificate
- A good presentable example from an aesthetic perspective, not in concours form, with some signs of blemishing and age in places, but would be more than at home on display at a show
- Chrome trim throughout presents well with just a gentle pitting and patina in some areas
- Iconic front end with recessed grille and twin headlight setup
- Retractable soft top roof, in good clean shape with quality upholstery
- The roof itself unlatches opens and stows comfortably and with ease
- Remaining external roll bar with black vinyl upholstery
- Glass work looks to be of a great standard throughout aside from a small patch of delamination in the top of the windscreen
- Five spoke two tone alloy wheels reside at all four corners
- Legendary 3.0 litre V8 engine
- Fitted with a Borg Warner automatic transmission from the factory
- In 2021 the engine was subject to an extensive overhaul at specialist outfit Thurston Engineering at a cost of around £8500 pounds
- Impressively clean engine and surrounding engine bay as a result
- As we understand extensive welding work has been performed on the car in its more recent history by a previous owner
- The Stag starts comfortably and idles well with a quality V8 engine note
- Drives and changes gear comfortably
- Silicon hoses used throughout
Stylish, well performing with a thumping V8 engine, there's a lot of reasons to like Triumph’s poster child roadster. There has seemingly always been a committed following behind these cars and demand seems to only be going one way as a result.
This final year example provides prospective buyers with a great opportunity to acquire a genuine usable, wholly presentable example of a Stag. With a recently rebuilt engine, it is surely ready for many more miles of enjoyment at the hands of its next owner, and will make a welcome addition to the driveway.
BEFORE YOU BUY
This sale is subject to the Car & Classic Terms and Conditions. By bidding and/or making an offer, you also agree to the following:
If the seller is registered as a private seller
, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply. Car & Classic’s return policy
A non-refundable deposit
will be payable if you are the winning bidder at auction or if your offer is accepted, refer to FAQs
✓ This vehicle is “Sold As Seen”, on an “As Is, Where Is’ basis and without warranty. A full inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase and bidding is highly recommended. Photos and descriptions are for guidance purposes only.
✓ VAT is included in the buyer's deposit. VAT may or may not be included in the final bid or offer price, as specified in the listing.
✓ UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check, to verify that they show no insurance database markers for damage or theft, and have no finance owing.
✓ Buyers are responsible for vehicle collection or delivery.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions