- Recently received a full re-spray in Metallic Icon Gold
- Renowned M117 V8 engine
- Excellent condition overall
Initially released in 1971 alongside Mercedes' SL (R107), the SLC would offer better functionality than its counterpart, due to the 4 seats on offer and spacious cabin. The 450SLC received Mercedes' renowned M117 engine, a smooth running yet powerful V8 coupled to a 3-speed automatic gearbox.
This engine boasted advanced for the time Bosch D-Jet fuel injection to further improve smoothness. The SLC didn't stop at the engine when it came to desirable mechanics, coil springs and trailing arms handled the suspension side of things while vented front discs and standard rear discs ensured good stopping power. The styling of the 450SLC has matured into a class of its on, now serving as a beautiful reminder of Mercedes' deserved reputation for top quality and tasteful craftmanship. The 450SLC is in essence a grand tourer which offers more space and functionality than the SL while still retaining many of the gorgeous design features.
The History and Paperwork
- MOT until 19/09/2023 with no advisories
- Historic vehicle and thus, MOT and tax exempt
- Less than 8,000 miles covered in the last 6 years
- First registered 01/10/1979
- Supplied new by B&K Thomas Ltd, Mercedes-Benz of Nottingham
- Current owner reluctantly selling as no time to use
- Vehicle received a speedometer change in March 2009 at 83,467 miles, current speedometer reading 38,522 giving for total mileage of 121,989
- Service history since 1979 and for almost every year, independent, comprehensive for the last 20 years
- Bills present for over £15000 of work
- Last serviced 08/22 and covered less than 300 miles since
- Service book present and stamped up to 31,356 miles /2017 (reflects new speedometer change)
- Current owner had the vehicle fully re-sprayed in metallic Icon Gold in late 2022 at a cost of nearly £4,000
- Original interior
- Vehicle has been kept garaged by current owner when not in use
- Excellent condition for the age and mileage
- Original owner's manuals supplied and in good condition
- Current owner is an enthusiast who has taken great care during his ownership
- Original Brazil velour interior in very good to excellent condition, a more expensive option than leather when new!
- Seats absent of any rips or tears and remain in excellent condition
- 1 very small mark to rear of passenger seat, possibly superficial
- All features such as sunroof etc in working order
- Original Pioneer radio headset present and functioning
- Walnut wood trim in very good condition throughout
- Headlining present and secure, remains in very good condition with sunroof both open and closed
- Carpets present and in very good condition throughout
- Door cards present and secure, both remain in very good to excellent condition
- Dashboard plastics remain in excellent condition free from any cracks or breaks, a common problem on vehicles from the era
- Parcel shelf remains in very good condition with emergency first aid kit present
- Boot remains in a very good condition with full-size spare wheel, jack and warning triangle all present and in good condition, underside of boot lid not colour matched with exterior
- Gorgeous Icon Gold metallic paint remains in excellent condition (re-sprayed in late 2022 during current ownership
- Rear arches welded and new sunroof trim fitted during re-spray work
- Window trim replaced in 05/23 during current ownership, remains in excellent condition
- Desirable dual fog lights mounted under the front bumper, remain in very good condition
- Brightwork and badges are all in excellent condition
- Glass remains in excellent condition with the exception of the lower rear windscreen, some fogging present
- Black bumpers remain in good condition throughout, 2 small cracks to offside front corner and nearside rear corner, only noticeable when inspecting closely
- Door sills remain in very good condition, previously repaired in 2019 due to corrosion
- Sunroof functions as expected with good panel gaps when closed and open
- 4 matching Nankang tyres, all with very good tread
- Original 'Mexican Hat' style alloys all remain in excellent condition
- Period correct black and silver number plate front and rear
- Chrome wingmirrors remain in very good condition
- Smooth M117 4.5 litre V8 engine starts 'on the button'
- Recently serviced 08/22, covered less than 300 miles since
- Current owner reports new front brake pads fitted, a new alternator belt, power assisted steering belt and PAS fluid change throughout the last year, bills confirm
- Desirable S (slope) and L (low i.e., 1st) gears present on automatic gearbox
- Engine bay and underside both remain in a tidy, used condition
- Paint starting to peel on the air intake
- High tension ignition lead set fitted 01/17
- Overhauled throttle body and oil cooler fitted 10/17, during last ownership
- New rear brake callipers fitted 06/16
- New washer pump fitted 02/18 and battery replaced 06/18
- Dual exit exhaust tips starting to show some signs of age
- Thorough collection of past 22 MOT's present with vehicle
- Current owner advises that the vehicle drives and stops well, as it should and in a straight line
Put simply, this 450SLC remains in excellent condition overall. While often overlooked due to the more infamous SL, the SLC certainly offers a more practical car. Four adults can comfortably fit in and importantly, this is achieved without compromise on the styling. The current owner of this example has evidently cherished it dearly and wasted no expense in not only maintaining but also improving this wonderful vehicle.
The Icon Gold paintwork will not only catch your eye but stay in your mind even once you've parked up. Running smoothly and with an equally impressive interior, this proves to be a top opportunity to own an excellent example of Mercedes' classic 450SLC.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions