- Recent restoration
- Excellent condition
- Comprehensive history
- Mot and tax exempt
The Spitfire was launched by Triumph back in 1962, a small lightweight sports car powered by an eager 1,147cc four-cylinder, 63bhp engine. Designed by the Italian designer Giovanni Michelotti, it went through several iterations right through to 1980, the final model being the 1500, which was produced from 1975, and is one such model being offered up for auction here. Over that period, the styling was a revised a few times and the interior certainly had some fettling to make it a more comfortable ride.
This fine example was purchased by the current owner in 2018 from a Triumph owners club enthusiast, and while his intention was to use it for regular sunny day outings, the reality was somewhat different and he hasn’t managed to take it out nearly as much as he would have liked, clocking up fewer than 100 miles in five years, mainly from trips to the local MOT station. However, it has been garaged and kept on trickle charge throughout, with regular starts and warming the engine up every month or so.
Restored in 2014 it has barely done 2000 miles since and is presented in all round excellent condition, ready to be enjoyed right away.
The History and Paperwork
- Supplied new in 1979
- Body off restoration in 2014
- V5c present
- Genuine documented mileage
- Owner’s manual, several workshops manuals and original Triumph service book/passport
- Good service history with large file of MOTs, invoices and receipts for work done
- Historic vehicle
- MOT and Tax exempt
- 2 sets of keys
- Spare wheel, jack and brace
- Remarkably clean and very presentable cabin with upgraded white vinyl dash
- Newly refurbished seats in black vinyl
- Vinyl steering wheel cover
- Additional twist LED dash light
- 2 x USB connectors
- Dashboard and trim are free from any cracks or damage
- Upgraded face-off Kenwood CD player and FM radio with two speakers fitted in rear
- No rips or tears in the roof
- Wind deflector
- Tonneau cover included
- All gauges and electrics work
- Door cards all new
- New carpets look immaculate
- Clean carpeted boot with full-size spare matching wheel
- Resprayed in Leyland White paintwork which looks excellent apart from a few small areas, notably:
- Tiny dent in nearside front wing and offside door (hardly visible)
- Small amount of rust to lower nearside rear wheel arch
- Original wheels have look very good and tyres have plenty of tread
- Wing mirrors and trim all present well including the door handles and the bumpers
- Underneath appears good and solid
- Lights all work and are free from any cracks or damage
- 1,493cc petrol engine
- 4-speed manual gearbox
- Upgraded larger radiator fitted in 2014
- Recent new battery
- 2014 restoration included powder coating chassis, replacing front springs and brake pipes
- Engine stripped in 2014 – timing chain inspected and crankshaft thrust washers replaced
- Stainless steel exhaust fitted in 2014
- Nice and clean engine bay
- Great service history
- The vendor advises that the car is in excellent mechanical shape, starting and driving very well with no major issues to report or advise
A great opportunity to own a classic British roadster in great all-round condition. Will suit someone that wants a car they can just get in and go without doing too much work, but could equally slide nicely into an existing collection. Either way, it’s a perfect choice for anyone looking to enjoy the roads with the wind in their hair.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions