*** Interested parties should note, this vehicle was subject to a CAT S insurance loss in 10/2018 ***
- Extensive restoration finished just three years ago
- Smooth 5 speed gearbox
- Robust 2.0 litre sports model
- Bare metal respray to a high standard
The Ford Capri was the European equivalent of the Mustang and was launched at the Brussels International Motor Show in 1969. It was originally designed to be a practical four seat coupe.
It cleverly bridged the gap between the traditional two-seater sports car and the family saloon.
This fine example of the MkIII was based on the Capri MkII floor plan but there were a few improvements to the details, such as the smart four-headlamp configuration, restyled bonnet and bigger, ridged rear lights. It’s a more elegant design in a very subtle way.
Ford have tried to rekindle some of the enthusiasm for 4-seater coupes with models such as the Probe and the Cougar, but nothing really comes close to the original Capri design. It marked a very distinctive time in history and is remembered fondly.
This 2.0 litre Sport example has had the most comprehensive refurbishment. All the parts look new and factory fresh. It’s a true useable classic Ford.
THE HISTORY AND PAPERWORK
- Comprehensive restoration undertaken by Robison Transport in Dungannon NI
- Bare metal respray to a high standard
- Only 75,706 miles
- Over £35,000 spent on the restoration
- Could MOT before collection
- The previous owner and restorer of the car has photos of the strip down and rebuild
- V5 present and some invoices
- Original seats with fabric in excellent condition
- Original carpets
- After market radio
- All the dials and switches work as they should
- Working, watertight sunroof
- Factory original headliner in good condition
- The boot is clean and tidy with no signs of wear
- The spare wheel area was resprayed with an eye for detail and looks new
- No spare wheel
- Heated rear screen
- New bonnet and boot rubbers
- Door cars are clean, and the windows work smoothly
- An amazing full respray to a very high standard with everything stripped to get the best finish possible. It’s hard to believe it’s the not factory finish
- Genuine wider alloy wheels RS1 MkII and III style in keeping with the time
- 4x New Yokahoma tyres
- Bottom of the doors are factory fresh
- New sport lettering and decals
- Bumpers refurbished
- Fresh and clean lights
- Original aerial
- Exceptionally clean underneath with tight seals and gaskets
- Underneath of the bodyshell professionally undersealed before resprayed
- The engine was totally overhauled 3 years ago
- Robust 2.0 litre engine
- All new rubber bushes
- Upgraded KN air filter
- Full oil and filter service done recently
- Custom-made stainless-steel sport exhaust with a bigger bore
- Custom fabricated manifold pipes
- The gearchange is smooth and the clutch is light
- The brakes have been overhauled and any new components fitted and stop well
You could easily say this 2.0 Litre Sport Capri is better than when it came off the production line in 1984. The front suspension mounting points, wings, A -pillar at the base of the windscreen, door skins and monocoque sills all appear to be in outstanding condition. This is certainly an example where the images can say a thousand words.
The new owner will have a car that needs little or no improvements and can be used as an everyday driver, cherished show car or even a display piece.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions