- Extensively restored in 2020, and in fantastic condition
- Plenty of history to show, with regular maintenance
- Considerably rare on today’s roads, presenting excellent collection potential
Often credited with paving the way for the front-wheel-drive platform as we know it, the classic Mini is easily one of the most desirable classics on the market. Whilst iconic enough in its standard form, the real intrigue remains with the special edition variants, such as the Flame model.
The Mini Flame was promoted alongside the Checkmate, and Racing Green editions, offering a unique finish, and a selection of subtle interior and instrument options. The Flame can of course be identified by its Flame Red paintwork, white roof, Flame logo decals, crayon cloth interior and sports alloy wheels.
With only 1000 Flame editions believed to have been produced, and a great deal of those having fallen to age, these little Minis now stand as rather rare vehicles in today’s market. In addition to being rather rare, this particular example also showcases comprehensive restoration work, a respectably low mileage figure, and excellent maintenance history.
If you’re in the market for a rare special edition pocket rocket in fantastic condition, this 1989 Austin Mini Flame is the car for you.
The History and Paperwork
- First registered in August 1989
- Enjoyed by just 8 former keepers
- Owned by the previous keeper and family for over a decade
- Previously restored around 2010, and then restored once more by a Mini specialist in 2020
- Purchased by the current keeper from a Mini specialist in October 2022
- Used sparingly since, benefitting from the protection of dry garage storage
- Includes an excellent array of history and paperwork, including;
- A selection of previous MOT certificates
- An extensive range of invoices detailing previous repairs, servicing, replacement components and restoration work
- A dyno printout, and invoice for rolling road carburettor tuning
- The current V5C document
- Comes ready to be enjoyed, with MOT until 17th August 2023
- Showcases a chic “crayon” cloth interior, with subtle Flame edition options
- Fitted with a Pioneer head unit, and JVC rear-mounted speakers
- Features tidy red carpeting, a sporty 3-spoke steering wheel, Union Jack shift knob, and pop-out sunroof
- Includes the spare wheel, toolkit and jack within the boot
- Offered today in fantastic condition for its age, showcasing plenty of care, with only a small handful of incredibly minor blemishes to note. Perhaps most noticeable of which, are minor defects with the headlining, although these hardly detract from the overall charm of this tidy interior
- Showcases fantastic Flame red paintwork, which presents itself in excellent order, with arguably only the most minute of blemishes
- Benefits from an extensive restoration in 2020, carried out by Mini specialist Colin P Davis. The restoration included;
- A full strip down
- New front wings, a new front panel, new A panels and new outer sills
- Repaired inner sills, rear wings, boot floor and rear panel
- A fresh coat of Flame Red paintwork, with new vinyl decals
- Fresh underseal and cavity wax
- Equipped with 12” sports alloy wheels, which offer fantastic finishes all around, with plenty of Falken tyre left to enjoy
- Previously fitted with new stainless bumpers, and new headlight rings in 2010, although light ageing is now beginning to show on the passenger’s side headlight
- All in all, this Mini Flame offers an incredibly impressive exterior finish, showcasing excellent craftsmanship from its restoration, with only the likes of a few windscreen chips, light brightwork ageing and the occasional minute blemish to note
- Powered by a 998cc 4-cylinder, and manual gearbox
- Fitted with Spax suspension, and an Intermotor ignition coil
- Runs & drives brilliantly, although the current keeper believes a new rear wheel bearing may need replacing in the near future
- Well maintained, with plenty of noteworthy previous maintenance, such as;
- Carburettor fettling and rolling road tuning in 2011
- New spark plugs, a new washer pump and a carburettor overhaul in 2014
- A new track rod end and subframe mount in 2015
- Comes ready with MOT until August 2023
Offered today is an excellent chance to obtain a stunning, restored example of the increasingly rare Mini Flame. It’s a vehicle that subtly stands out from the lineup, greatly benefits from caring ownership, and will no doubt serve as a tremendous weekend toy, or as a fantastic addition to any classic collection.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions