The Piaggio Ape is a three wheeled light commercial vehicle marketed as an adaptation to their Vespa scooter. The name ‘Ape’ was chosen as it mimicked the hardworking translation of Bee to the Vespa’s translation of Wasp. The Ape 50 with a 49.8cc engine was capable of carrying 175 -205 kg whilst the most recent Ape 50 is capable of 85 mpg.
You’d have to have a heart of stone to look at this funky looking tricycle and not crack a smile. That’s what the current owner has leaned into, a fun, quirky, interesting and joy inducing little scooter was just what was ordered, and we think you’ll agree they’ve hit the mark perfectly.
This Ape was previous used on an airbase where a wealthy individual spotted it and in true wealthy individual fashion stated they wanted it, no matter the cost. The Ape’s airbase past is referenced by a decal on the front windscreen. The Ape was eventually passed on this the current owner who has lavished it with time and attention turning it into a matching set for their other Vespa with the Emporio Armani badges and Matt green paint. With a house move due on the cards soon the decision has been made to let the Piaggio go.
The History and Paperwork
- The Piaggio has been a fun vehicle that has not been driven any serious distance
- It has had an MOT check every year
- Current MOT expires 28.06.2023
- There is a full V5C and a registration document for the import of the scooter in 2018
- Leather seat pads are in good condition, some minor cracking to the leather which could possibly be alleviated with some leather feed products
- All electrics are reported to be working inside the small cabin
- Both windows work on levers
- Original jack
- Recent full respray in Matt green with Emporio Armani badges to match the special edition collaboration between the fashion house and Vespa
- Fantastic condition bodywork with only a few minor chips on the load bed wall (photographed)
- Wheels in excellent condition, the tyres have plenty of tread left with some minor cracks in the sidewalls
- Bodywork is all in good order and is straight and free from any obvious defects or dents
- This is a fantastic looking thing that makes you want to jump in and have a blast
- The right-hand side door was missing some parts to enable its function and was held in by a strap to keep it closed. The owner reports that it will be an easy fix with the correct part.
- All electrics were reported to be working around the exterior too
- The Piaggio is a utility scooter first and foremost despite its high society makeover and everything is designed to get you back and forth with as little fuss as possible
- The 49cc engine sounded in good health when we were on the photoshoot as you can see in the video
- Whilst the Piaggio wasn’t assigned daily duties, it has been well cared for by the current owner and everything was working as intended at the time of the photoshoot
- The scooter allowed for good access underneath and as a result we could capture some good photos of its underside condition, including the powerplant
- The underside was in good condition and the few components there are involved in the Piaggio were all visually looking in good condition
If you’ve looked through the photos, watched the video and you don’t want to have this little tricycle in your driveway just to smile every time you see it, then you might need to check your pulse. Whilst these vehicles have an important and more utilitarian purpose around the world, this one’s job is pure fun whilst also still being able to do what it was designed for. Whether used for shows or to pop down the Co-op for a pint of milk, you’ll be laughing all the way there and back.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions