- Low mileage, well maintained 4.5litre Chimaera
- Distinctive Purple Paradise paintwork in great condition
- Rewarding and capable British low volume sports car
The Chimaera was TVR’s answer to those buyers who wanted a more balanced blend of performance and comfort. Based on the proven Griffith chassis but longer and more softly sprung, it was nonetheless still a TVR so anyone approaching one expecting Mercedes-Benz like GT cosseting was about to be disappointed.
And that is surely the car’s appeal: a British-built, V8-engined sports car that can be comfortably driven long distances. Fast when it needs to be, relaxing when it doesn’t. Which likely explains why 6,000 found homes over 11 years. There were several different engine capacities available, with the 4.5litre 450 delivering 60mph in just 4.7secs.
This arresting Purple Paradise Chimaera 450 seems to sum up the car’s duality: jaw-dropping looks but with a restrained grey leather interior. A very low mileage car that has been carefully maintained by its enthusiast owner, this is a very tempting example of one of Britain’s most rewarding sports cars.
The History and Paperwork
- First registered 1st May 1998
- MOT to 6th March 2024 with no advisories and few miles covered since
- The MOT records show a gap between 2015 and 2019 and a mileage discrepancy in 2015, likely due to operator inputting error
- Major service booked in with Sports Car Specialists Brierly Hill 11/09/2023
- The car has covered just 10,000 miles since 2005 and only 2,500 since 2013
- Factory leather-bound service book with 5 stamps, most recently at 41,640 miles on 19th February 2021
- History file appears to show additional service work alongside the service stamps
- 2 keys and fobs plus immobiliser fob
- Attractive light grey leather interior in very good condition with barely any signs of wear
- Even the vulnerable driver’s seat bolster is virtually unworn
- Very original interior right down to the TVR pedal rubbers
- Some light delamination and localised cracks in the dashboard veneer but really only visible up close
- TVR ‘Personal’ three spoke leather rimmed wheel with light sheen of use only
- Some discolouration of the carpets in the driver’s footwell
- Light grey carpets with piping in generally clean and very presentable condition
- Leather trim to dashboard and centre console appears unmarked, unscuffed and with no tears
- Aluminium switchgear a particular delight of TVR interiors of this era and appears well kept
- Pioneer Bluetooth sound system with additional rear speakers and CD multichanger in boot
- Space saver spare wheel in boot with factory cover
- Aluminium gear knob
- Immobiliser fitted and key code supplied with car
- Stand-out Purple Paradise metallic paintwork suits the Chimaera style and is in very good condition
- Classic TVR shape that is simply styled but with great detailing and panel arrangements
- We could not see any obvious marks or scratches around the car
- There is a handful of stone chips on the front of the car but not unsightly
- Factory specification Toyo Proxes tyres appear to have plenty of tread
- Factory alloy wheels in very good condition with only very, very minor marks visible
- Fabric roof with ‘Surrey’ top in good condition with good colour and clear panels
- 4,546cc 280bhp version of the superb Rover V8 engine
- Later and desirable Borg Warner T5 5spd manual gearbox
- 0-60mph in 4.7secs
- Camshafts and followers replaced at 41,264 miles in January 2020
- Photographs indicate that the engine hoses have been variously upgraded
- Evidence of regular service work, most recently at 41,640 miles in February 2021
- Reassuringly it appears to have been regularly serviced irrespective of the low mileage covered in recent years
The Chimaera was the TVR buyers didn’t expect: practical and comfortable but also very quick, it appealed just as hard to the head as well as the heart.
This low mileage 450 is likely to stop traffic with its Purple Paradise paintwork. Clearly well maintained and appealingly standard, this looks like a great example of these superb sports cars.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions