- Rare Pre-Green Label model with more desirable BMW 4398cc Twin Turbo V8
- Service and history up to date with invoices to confirm
- Elegant Peacock Blue paintwork perfectly suits the Parchment interior
The Bentley Arnage was introduced in 1998 as a replacement for the ageing Bentley Turbo R and Bentley Brooklands models. During this time, BMW and Volkswagen were vying for ownership of Rolls-Royce and Bentley Motors. Long time rivals, BMW had threatened to stop supply of engines if VW came into ownership, while VW in turn would not accept the business risk of partnering with their biggest rivals.
With Bentley eventually falling under the Volkswagen nameplate, they were forced to revise the Arnage’s powerplant. In October of 1999, the Arnage Red Label and Green Label were born; the Red Label carrying the 6.75L Twin Turbo V8 into the 2000s, while the BMW 4.4L V8 remained in the Green Label cars as carryover.
This particular Arnage, while not specifically a Green Label car as they were labelled from October 1999 onwards, was produced before the change over to a VW subsidiary, and carries with it the more desirable BMW powerplant. The BMW unit provides a noticeably more agile and responsive experience, with a lower weight rating contributing to a better weight-balanced car and improved handling. In addition to that, the engine itself was notably more responsive, reportedly more reliable, and less expensive to service when compared to the 6.75L alternative.
Presented in the highly desirable Peacock Blue Metallic and Parchment interior, this Bentley comes with a partially-documented service history including invoices for work and parts purchased by the current owner. Its new owner can rest assured it’s in excellent mechanical condition as it does show full stamps in the logbook. While there is room for slight improvement on the interior and exterior, this is great opportunity to purchase a rare Bentley which can be driven as-is or easily be restored to its former glory.
The History and Paperwork
- Up to date V5
- First registered April 23, 1999
- Matching VIN/engine numbers
- Mot history absolutely shines; current MOT expires 3 August 2023
- Documented service and invoice history from current owner, well maintained and kept
- Two sets of keys
- Comprehensive tool kit intact
- Rear wing resprayed in 2023, totalling £600
- Service, engine flush, heater motor, compressor, resistor pack, ait conditioning ragas, and new battery fitted in 2020, totalling £9,658.40
- Various repairs to rear bumper, repair hydraulic leak and grease all piping, replacement of front suspension drop links, replace front subframe support bracket, replace main systems battery totalling £1,922.25 in 2021
- Door cappings re-veneered totalling £600
- Owner’s handbook present with stamps completed up to 90k service; all stamps present
- Parts and workshop manual present on CD
- All electrical equipment said to be in working order
- Switches and controls fully functional
- Stunning veneer panels throughout, with door panels recently re-veneered as mentioned
- Seats in good condition for the age, showing some signs of use, but no tears or rips seen
- Owner informs us the driver’s seat has been connolized previously
- Small area of markings present on lower side of front seat as pictured
- Carpets in great condition with no signs of discolouration or damage
- Dashboard in great condition with all buttons, gauges, and instruments in equal condition
- Steering wheel in above average condition with some marks on the front face
- Headlining in great, clean condition with no sagging present, and only a few marks on the passenger side fold-down mirror, can likely be cleaned
- Boot in excellent tidy condition with boot carpets near flawless and tool kit present
- Very straight body with positive panel fit and evenly spaced door gaps
- There is a small dent in the rear bumper that has been touched up, see photos
- Bentley green emblems in very good condition condition
- Brightwork still shining, but some areas heavy with micro-scratches, notably rear bumper as pictured
- All doors open and close with ease
- Some small dings and imperfections in the paintwork as pictured, and marks from the road on the front end, visible only when up close
- Trim in excellent shape, with rubbers and seals intact and no reports of any leaks
- Lenses are all in great shape with no signs of fading or damage
- Wheels in very good shape with no kerb damage
- Tires are nearing the end of their use, will likely need replacing before next MOT
- The underside is in great shape with only minor surface corrosion seen, rubbers, grommets, and dust covers look to be intact and usable
- Twin-Turbo 4398cc 32-valve BMW V8 sounds smooth and quiet with impressive power delivery, as is to be expected for a Bentley
- Owner states everything is in great working condition with the vehicle starting, stopping, handling, and accelerating in perfect order
- Idle is solid with no unexpected noises or wandering RPMs
- ZF 5HP30 automatic transmission glides effortlessly through the gears
- The only known issue from the current owner is that there’s a warning on the dash which shows “Airbag” possible fault, or may just need resetting
When spoken, the name Bentley evokes a vision of extreme elegance, and a no-expenses-spared level of luxury. This Arnage is no exception to that notion, as everywhere one looks, they can sense the time and care put into providing the driver and passengers with the absolute maximum amount of comfort and enjoyment in operation. The Arnage’s robustly engineered design, use of high-quality materials, attention to detail, and clinical build quality make it one of the most enjoyable vehicles to own of the pre-VW era of Bentleys.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions