Vendor supplied images
- Meticulously maintained and improved by the current owner
- Upgraded with YSS rebuildable shocks and fully floating discs for superior ride and handling
- MOT valid until July 2024 and free from advisories
Distinguished by its superb handling and impressive longevity, the Moto Guzzi California Special certainly deserves more appreciation than it gets. This 2002 example is particularly fine, with just 22,713 miles on the odometer and has received a great deal of attention during present ownership.
The vendor acquired it in 2017, recognising its potential with such low mileage, and soon set about rectifying a few issues including a leaky fuel tank and several paint defects. Now well sorted and benefitting from regular service intervals in recent years, this Moto Guzzi awaits its next lucky owner.
The History and Paperwork
- Quite rare compared to the EV model as the California Special special was made in relatively low numbers
- Advisory-free MOT valid until July 2024
- 22,713 miles indicated and supported by accompanying paperwork
- Service records indicate upkeep to the Moto Guzzi schedule, including differential and gearbox oil, along with engine oil changes every 2000 miles during present ownership
- The fuel filter has been replaced three times in the current ownership
- Acquired by the vendor in February 2017
- The bike has recently completed 800 miles touring in France without encountering any issues
- Accompanied by several invoices for parts
- Collection of old MOT certificates
- V5C present
- The bodywork presents very well overall, exhibiting just a few minor imperfections including touched-up paintwork on the front fender and a small scratch on the front of the fuel tank
- A new set of mirrors will be included due to flaking paint on the current pair
- The paintwork shows signs of wear, however, the quality of the finish does not detract from its overall appearance
- Offered also are the original frame rails to convert back to footpegs if desired as the vendor prefers running boards
- The vendor replaced the leaky fuel tank with a good, used item
- The front mudguard and new tank were then repainted by Larry Frost at Illusion Race Paint to an exemplary standard
- Both frame and fuel tank appear free from dents or corrosion
- New rear tyre fitted for the last MOT
- Headlamp flasher not currently working
- 1064 cc transverse V-twin
- Five-speed gearbox
- Reportedly in very fine riding order, having recently completed 800 miles touring in France without issue
- Fitted with YSS rebuildable shocks and fully floating discs for an enhanced riding experience, a noticeable improvement over the original equipment
- Regular service has been performed including differential and gearbox oil changes as per the Moto Guzzi schedule.
- Dif and gearbox oil changed as per Moto Guzzi’s schedule and engine oil every changed 2,000 miles
- The oil filter has been changed every other oil change as specified
- Three new fuel filters fitted during the vendor’s ownership.
For someone who appreciates mechanics, endurance and the thrill of riding a rare, under-appreciated machine, this 2002 Moto Guzzi California Special is an excellent prospect. It has been diligently cared for and enhanced with notable upgrades for a fantastic ride. It comes ready for the road, with an MOT valid until July 2023, and capacity for personalisation.
This motorcycle’s unique character, combined with its low mileage and impeccable mechanical condition, positions it as an exciting opportunity for Moto Guzzi enthusiasts or anyone seeking a distinctive, classic ride.
BEFORE YOU BUY
This sale is subject to the Car & Classic Terms and Conditions. By bidding and/or making an offer, you also agree to the following:
If the seller is registered as a private seller
, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply. Car & Classic’s return policy
A non-refundable deposit
will be payable if you are the winning bidder at auction or if your offer is accepted, refer to FAQs
✓ This vehicle is “Sold As Seen”, on an “As Is, Where Is’ basis and without warranty. A full inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase and bidding is highly recommended. Photos and descriptions are for guidance purposes only.
✓ VAT is included in the buyer's deposit. VAT may or may not be included in the final bid or offer price, as specified in the listing.
✓ UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check, to verify that they show no insurance database markers for damage or theft, and have no finance owing.
✓ Buyers are responsible for vehicle collection or delivery.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions