Photos provided by the vendor
- Rare Pajett Red metallic paintwork with beige leather interior
- Stamped Mercedes service book
- Desirable 15inch Gullideckel alloy wheels
- Model with seatbelts pretensioners and airbag
- Cruise control and air conditioning
- Top specification USA-only 5.6litre V8 model
- Factory body colour hardtop included
The delicate ‘Pagoda’ Mercedes convertible may have given the firm a foothold in the luxury convertible market but it was the R107 of 1971 that really set sales rolling. Engineered to perfection and very comfortable it was a hit across the world but particularly in the USA where owning a SL bestowed a certain prestige on any owner.
This 1987 560SL was a US-only top-of-the-range model. Its high mileage reflects the durability of these finely engineered cars and its heavily stamped service books suggests careful ownership. It looks distinctive in rare Pajett Red with contrasting beige leather interior and comes with a matching factory hard top.
The History And Paperwork
- Matching numbers car
- Stamped service book to 137,427 miles in 1996
- Has covered less than under 90,000 miles since 1996
- VIN confirms this is a 560SL convertible built in 1987 at the Sindelfingen factory with pretensioner seatbelts and airbag
- Built on May 1987
- Originally sold into the USA
- US title and European importation documents
- Clear CARFAX document included
- Original interior with Beige leather and wood veneer highlights
- Later steering wheel with airbag
- Desirable optional rear seat
- Beige carpets throughout
- Cruise control and air conditioning
- Attractive wood veneers to dashboard and centre console
- Original Becker Mexico Grand Prix radio cassette not fitted
- Central armrest
- Electric windows
- Pajett Red metallic paintwork (‘American’ paintjob, has some bubbles on the hood)
- Chrome and USA impact resistant bumper rubbers with chrome highlights
- Iconic 15inch Gullideckel alloy wheels
- Factory hard top in Pajett Red metallic with heated rear window and beige trim
- Beige fabric manual roof
- Twin headlamp USA specification
- Front fog lamps
- Rear spoiler delete option
- Central brake light
- Automatic radio antennae
- 227bhp 5.6litre M117 V8 Mercedes engine
- 4spd automatic gearbox
- Rear wheel drive
- Needs some technical maintenance in order to pass the technical inspection
The qualities that made the R107 so popular and long lived in period explain why it is now a fast-appreciating classic and sought-after classic. It is very useable, very reliable and there is a burgeoning network of specialists ready to support and maintain these great convertible cars.
The 560 was maximum SL, an effortlessly powerful, very smooth V8 that is at home cruising around Cannes as it is barrelling down an autobahn.
With the choice of soft top or hard top, this versatile example could be pushed into daily driver duties or reserved for weekend drives.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Shipping and transfer
Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased. Car & Classic may refer a shipping company that also deals with import/export paperwork. Prices start at €150+VAT within the same country or €400+VAT for moves across borders.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions