- Very low mileage late model 440
- Just two owners from new
- Long MOT to March 2024 with no advisories
- Very well preserved condition
- Perfect for Festival of the Unexceptional 2024
The 440 hatchback and 480 saloon were part of Volvo’s concerted drive to make inroads into the medium-sized segment dominated by the Sierra. Bigger and more modern than their 3-Series predecessors, the 440 also introduced a razor-edged twist to the boxy Volvo aesthetic.
Inside there was an interior created by design supremo Peter Horbury and plenty of the safety features buyers had come to expect. The 440 Si offered buyers the sporty design paraphernalia and suspension of the more powerful GLT but in a more value-driven package.
This remarkable survivor has recently been recommissioned from 13 years storage and comes with a long, advisory free MOT. With the same owner since 1996, this car’s interesting back story is surely a key part of what makes this unexceptional modern classic really quite exceptional.
The History and Paperwork
- First registered in the UK 18th January 1995
- Acquired by the current owner in 1996 according to the history file
- Vendor’s original purchase paperwork and car’s 1996 sale listing included
- 1 key and remote fob
- Original handbooks and old format V5 from 1996 included
- MOT records indicate the car was off the road between 2010 and 2023
- Good history file provided with car and shown in photographs
- Late model 440 so well specified with previously optional equipment
- Well preserved interior with remarkably little wear for a 28 year old car
- Colourfully patterned fabric seats retain their shape, colour and condition
- Glass sliding sunroof, rear headrests and electric windows up front
- Clean boot is a good indication that this is a cared for car
- Original Volvo radio cassette
- White bodywork looks very solid with only a few localised signs of age
- This being a Volvo there are of course RSPB and Woodland Trust stickers
- Original steel wheels with plastic Volvo trims, although they are of two types
- There are some scuffs to both corners of the front bumper
- Si specification delivers big rear spoiler, lowered suspension and headlamp washers
- Some corrosion visible on nearside rear arch but not extensive
- Underside presents well with no structural advisories on the last MOT
- 1,596cc B16F Volvo engine with multi-point fuel injection
- A peppy 84bhp available to the right foot
- 5spd manual gearbox
- Si means lowered sports suspension shared with the GLT
- Unfortunately we do not know when this great car was last serviced
The 440 offered buyers a more compact but thankfully undiluted Volvo experience characterised by quality fittings and an emphasis on safety. Popular in period, survivors are now rare.
Particularly so with just two owners and the low miles of this example. Whether you push it into duties as a distinctive daily or ready it for the burgeoning show scene for this type of car, it looks like a great addition to any driveway.
BEFORE YOU BUY
This sale is subject to the Car & Classic Terms and Conditions. By bidding and/or making an offer, you also agree to the following:
If the seller is registered as a private seller
, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply. Car & Classic’s return policy
A non-refundable deposit
will be payable if you are the winning bidder at auction or if your offer is accepted, refer to FAQs
✓ This vehicle is “Sold As Seen”, on an “As Is, Where Is’ basis and without warranty. A full inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase and bidding is highly recommended. Photos and descriptions are for guidance purposes only.
✓ VAT is included in the buyer's deposit. VAT may or may not be included in the final bid or offer price, as specified in the listing.
✓ UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check, to verify that they show no insurance database markers for damage or theft, and have no finance owing.
✓ Buyers are responsible for vehicle collection or delivery.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions