- Desirable late model and one of last built
- 20V 215bhp motor and luxury specification
- 1 of 295 RHD cars built
- Rare and desirable 'RR' variant
- Highly original including working digital dash
- Recently recommissioned including timing belts
- Just three owners from new
- Long MOT to June 2024 with no advisories
Few cars can be said to have broken the mould. Certainly the Model T, the Beetle and Mini and perhaps the E-Type. Add to that list Audi’s incredible ‘ur’ Quattro.
From a car that struggled to sell even the paltry 400 units Audi needed for homologation, the Quattro spawned a plethora of models driven by its fundamental drivetrain principles. That makes the ‘ur’ original highly sought after.
Audi finally cottoned on to the car’s potential and introduced a series of improvements to the engine and specification, but the fundamentals remained the same throughout its long life. The later cars got a double overhead cam 20V motor that hiked power to 215bhp, plus a luxury leather-trimmed interior.
This is one of those later cars, a late 1990 'RR' model in sleek black metallic with charcoal leather interior. It retains its factory specification, including the orange digital dashboard, and is in great condition. Recently recommissioned it comes with new timing belts and a long MOT.
The History and Paperwork
- First registered 15th October 1990
- Just three owners from new and current owner since 7th August 2014
- Some service history included stamped service book
- Service book shows eight stamps to 3rd December 1993 at 71,607 miles
- MOT records indicate the car was untested between 2016 and 2023 with few miles covered
- MOT to 5th June 2024 with no advisories and less than 1,000 miles covered since
- Previously MOT from 2016 shows 115,206 miles
- Original factory handbooks in good condition
- Fuel pump and timing belt replaced and intercooler repairs September 2023 costing £841.77
- This a 20V which was built between 1989 and 1991 with more power and luxury
- Quattros were partially hand built on a dedicated line by Audi
- Smart black metallic paintwork accented with bolted BBS polished alloys
- Exterior presents well with no visible corrosion and only minor marks visible
- We are told that some of the paintwork has been refreshed recently
- Steel electric sunroof model
- Light marks to bonnet and offside rear wing top to note
- Remaining paintwork presents well with bodywork in similar condition
- Underside presents with no structural issues visible or on recent MOT
- Hankook tyres fitted to 16in BBS alloys in good condition with only light wear showing
- Factory decals to sides and rear window in original, lightly marked condition
- Rear wash wipe and headlight washers
- Lights in good order with facelift front and no visible misting or cracks
- Luxurious dark grey leather interior with original factory fittings retained
- Orange digital dashboard in good order and appears to work correctly
- Switchgear presents well with no visible damage or missing parts
- Optional leather heated sports seats in very good condition, possibly retrimmed to front
- Rear individual bucket seats appear little used
- Trim mostly leather-lined across centre console, doors and rear cabin
- Some light marks around interior to leather panels but not unsightly
- Plus grey carpets in good order through cabin with overmats, driver’s lightly worn
- Boot area is clean and tidy with only some trim loosening at top
- Headlining in good order with no visible sagging or marks
- Space saver spare with factory fitted cover
- Kenwood radio cassette with optional CD connectivity and speakers in rear shelf
- Three spoke Audi Sport steering wheel looks the part and well kept
Audi gradually improved the Quattro’s luxury and performance but wisely didn’t mess with the distinctive aesthetics, only very lightly modding the front of later cars like this one.
This car sports that later high specification, including the extensive leather trimming to the cabin including door cards, console, lower dash and rear seat area. Inside and out it is in good, well preserved and unrestored condition that shows only light marks, none of which are unsightly. Everything works, including the desirable orange digital dashboard.
- 2,226cc 5cyl DOHC 215bhp Audi engine evolved from the first car’s motor
- 5 speed manual gearbox
- Brake master cylinder, fuel pump and turbo pipes recently renewed
- Timing belt replaced in September 2023
- Long MOT to June 2024 with no advisories
The Quattro’s startling ability to literally run rings around the competition likely explains why Audi only lightly fettled the car’s performance and the venerable 2.1litre 5cyl with its distinctive warble. The main change came in 1991 when the enlarged engine was equipped with a 20V head that helped lift power to 215bhp, a rise of approximately 10%. These later RR cars are particularly sought after.
Of course, this is one of them. In the hands of its owner – one of just three – for nearly 10 years it has been lightly used in recent ones. It appears to have been off the road between 2016 and 2023 when the vendor undertook a light recommission. That work is detailed above and includes timing belts, fuel pump, turbo pipes and brake master cylinder.
BEFORE YOU BUY
This sale is subject to the Car & Classic Terms and Conditions. By bidding and/or making an offer, you also agree to the following:
If the seller is registered as a private seller
, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply. Car & Classic’s return policy
A non-refundable deposit
will be payable if you are the winning bidder at auction or if your offer is accepted, refer to FAQs
✓ This vehicle is “Sold As Seen”, on an “As Is, Where Is’ basis and without warranty. A full inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase and bidding is highly recommended. Photos and descriptions are for guidance purposes only.
✓ VAT is included in the buyer's deposit. VAT may or may not be included in the final bid or offer price, as specified in the listing.
✓ UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check, to verify that they show no insurance database markers for damage or theft, and have no finance owing.
✓ Buyers are responsible for vehicle collection or delivery.