Video at the bottom of the listing
- The vendor comments that there’s a good chance this Fiat would be approved to participate in the Mille Miglia
- First year of production example that’s apparently had just two Italian owners - the second from 1957
- Beautifully presented and ready to be used
Designed to rival the Volkswagen Beetle and Renault 4CV, the Fiat 600 set out to be an affordable yet capable car that could transport families of four. Along with the smaller 500, the Fiat 600 proved a significant transformative force in European economic recovery following the Second World War, making them a very important vehicle in the history of Fiat and indeed Italy.
Here we have a very early example dating from the first year of 600 production - 1955. It’s in fabulous condition for its age and has clearly been cherished throughout its life. In general, these Fiats were not tucked away carefully like Ferraris. They were made to do a job and most were worked into the ground, so survivors such as this are a rarity. The vendor informs us that it is Mille Miglia eligible and might be able to find its way onto their Registro. We’re further informed that this car has had just two Italian owners from new, the second since 1957!
If you fancy an exemplary example of this sociocultural icon, then we urge you to consider this 1955 car.
The History and Paperwork
- Reported to have had just two Italian owners from new - the second since 1957
- ASI certification, complete with plates atop the front bumper
- The vendor informs us that it is Mille Miglia eligible and may be able to find its way onto their Registro
- 26,273 kilometres indicated on the five figure odometer, which we’re unable to verify
- Basic and functional layout that maximises the available space
- Teal vinyl upholstery in very good order with barely any wear and no damage we could identify
- Period-correct rubber floor matting in orange and black
- Simple metal dashboard finished in body colour
- A small binacle displays your sped, fuel level and oil level
- An additional water temperature gauge has been discreetly hidden under the dashboard on the offside
- Two-spoke steering wheel with perforated wrapping
- Nicely presented front luggage compartment
- Presented in fantastic overall condition, suggesting some past sympathetic restoration work
- Dainty styling
- Equipped with rear hinged doors with sliding windows
- Handsome green paintwork ("Verde" in Italian)
- Steel wheels finished in cream and wearing white band tyres
- While the odd small paint and bodywork blemish is visible upon close inspection, this Fiat presents remarkable well for its age
- We couldn’t see any signs of corrosion topside and the vendor comments that it’s really sound underneath
- All the badging and brightwork appears in really nice shape
- Equipped with radiator grille muffs covering the vents at the rear
- 633cc OHV inline-four cylinder engine
- The engine is positioned aft and is water-cooled
- Four-speed transaxle driving the rear wheels
- Appears really smart inside the engine compartment
- Said to be running very well and driving nicely
- The current owner tells us that: "the engine on the top is an enjoyable 750 ccm, but the car has the original engine and transmission included. But this is a new engine with only 1.000 km (so the rebuild was done in ca. 2017)"
We’re big fans of the Fiat 600 and, in many ways, these cars that were designed for ordinary working families are as fascinating, if not more so, than the range-topping sports cars and GTs of the same era.
With its apparent Mille Miglia eligibility and wonderful overall condition, this is not one to miss.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Shipping and transfer
Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased. Car & Classic may refer a shipping company that also deals with import/export paperwork. Prices start at €150+VAT within the same country or €400+VAT for moves across borders. For more details, email [email protected]