- Believed to be 1 of only 33 RHD manual examples ever made
- Mechanically in very good order with no known mechanical faults
- Very original condition
- Desirable colour combination - metallic blue over beige leather
This particular example of the beautiful 400 GTi presents a fantastic opportunity to acquire one of the rarest V12 manual Ferraris, and in right-hand drive, too. Its mechanical condition is testament to the care and attention of the current and previous owners, with the engine running sweetly and manual ‘box changing beautifully. This car is a joy to drive, and with some cosmetic repairs taken care of, would make for a very tidy and equally usable classic Ferrari.
The History and Paperwork
- Supplied new as a RHD vehicle in the UK in 1980
- Believed to be 1 of just 33 RHD manual versions ever built
- Invoice for timing chain replacement at 61k miles (dated 1988)
- Large collection of historical invoices for parts and work completed
- Original owner’s manual and service book are present and in excellent order
- Owner has sourced copies of the original Ferrari workshop manual and parts catalogue
- MOT and road tax exempt
- V5 log book present in owner's name
Acquired from the estate of a late family friend in 2012, the current owner has spent the last 11 years looking after and improving this wonderful, and rare, classic Ferrari. It has only covered 250 miles in the last 10 years, spending the majority of its time in an insulated garage.
- Beige leather with striking black detailing perfectly complements the exterior colour
- Both front and rear seats are in excellent condition with no significant rips or tears
- Original blue carpeting is in decent shape, but has worn in some areas
- Door cards are mostly in good condition, with a small tear in the lower section of the passenger side door card
- Dashboard and centre console are in excellent order with seemingly no major scratches or signs of sun damage
- All interior switchgear and gauges said to be functional
- Boot area is clean and tidy while containing a full-size spare wheel
- Original tool kit is also present
The charming interior of this 400 GTi is made all the more appealing by its near-total originality, with even the stereo with which the car left Maranello remaining proudly in place. It has clearly been well looked after throughout its lifetime.
- Exterior is in mostly good condition throughout, with bright and shiny dark metallic blue paintwork that really gleams in the sunlight
- Bodywork is free from major damage or scratches but does bear signs of age commensurate with the car’s mileage
- Some bubbling is present around the front/rear windows as well as at the base of the rear windows
- Some noticeable stone chips on the lower part of the front valance
- Chrome trim is bright, shiny and undamaged
- Electrically operated aerial raises and lowers as it should
- Wheels have recently been repainted in Ferrari silver
- Recently fitted tyres are Michelin TRX in the period-correct metric tyre size. While not ‘in date’ they were stored correctly and have no cracks, damage or other signs of age. They are effectively brand new.
- Some paint crazing is evident, most noticeably around the Ferrari logo on the boot lid
- Glass is undamaged aside from a small crack in the O/S/F indicator lens
- Some corrosion is evident on the lower parts of the front wings
- Said to be solid underneath with the owner having spent a great deal of time and effort thoroughly cleaning the underside and checking for signs of corrosion
While the car does require some attention cosmetically due to its age and mileage, the bodywork bears no major damage in terms of scratches and dents.
- Vehicle is said to run and drive very well with no known mechanical faults for buyers to be aware of
- 4.8-litre V12 Engine starts first time, ticks over sweetly and pulls very strongly
- Steering, handling and brakes all function as they should
- There are no leaks or smoke from the engine or transmission
- Full stainless steel exhaust system has been fitted
- Timing chain changed at 61k miles though that was in 1988
- A recent overhaul of the fuel system included a new front to back fuel pipe and accumulators
- New battery
Beautiful classic Ferrari with an incredibly rare and desirable factory-fitted manual gearbox. In fantastic running and driving condition with only minor cosmetic repairs required to make it perfect.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions