- All original condition
- Lovely red interior specification
- Hard top present
The slab-sided, classically styled Benz that came to embody filthy richness during its seemingly endless and unchallenged sales streak. SL’s are known for their impeccable bodywork, to this day even the unmolested examples remain to have excellent panel gaps and doors that close with a solid thunk - they don’t build them like they used to. Fitted with the later 4.5-litre V8 instead of the early 3.5, it provides for the potential to be a hassle-free runner.
Reported to be in entirely original condition, the vehicle has sat unused for some time due to ill health. The owner states that upon purchasing the vehicle, some mechanical work was undertaken to replace some worn components underneath and had remained in good health.
The History and Paperwork
- Originally registered on the 26th of October 1973
- 6 previous keepers of the vehicle
- The vehicle is MOT exempt
- MOT carried out in 2021, passing with no advisories noted at 135,552 miles
- Old MOT certificates are present with the vehicle
- Registration confirmation for the current owner
- Original warranty documentation stating the matching chassis and engine numbers
- V5C is present and correct, ready for transfer of ownership
- Unused for some time due to ill health, only covered a mere 24 miles in the last two years
- Reportedly original interior, entirely red leather with black accents
- Both front seats remain in fantastic condition for the vehicles age and mileage, the leather shows hardly any signs of age or use with no tears an good stitching and piping
- Original steering wheel only shows some gentle hints of age around the outer rim and some gentle scratches on the horn cover
- Gauge cluster is reported to be operational, showing no fading on the dials or lenses
- Dashboard appears to be free from cracks or damage, with just a small wrinkle appearing above the glove box
- Brightwork trim under the upper dash panel has some light signs of age
- Original switchgear all functional with easy to read identification
- Door cards original and in good shape, some gentle hints of patina on the brightwork handle surrounds as well as the pull handles
- Rear bench seats are virtually unused with great leather condition and no signs of age
- Hardtop headlining in lovely condition
- Original white paintwork, in need of a little TLC showing some hints of age in areas
- Brightwork throughout nicely preserved with only light signs of age
- Headlamp lenses appear nicely kept with no damage present
- Some slight paint chipping noticed at the front of the driver side wing in the seam beside the bonnet
- Some bubbling noticed along the front of the bonnet where it meets the brightwork grill
- All four wheel arches appear to be free from worrying corrosion, only some light signs of rust are beginning to appear on the front passenger wing behind the wheel
- Small paint bubbles spotted down near the, but no worrying corrosion
- Wheels remain in original condition with nice brightwork, some small paint chips can be noticed on the centre hubs upon closer inspection
- Scuffs noticed on the outer lip on a couple of the wheels
- Hard top appears to be in nicely kept condition with good brightwork
- Soft top appears in great shape and reportedly remains to be water tight
- 4.5-litre V8 petrol engine
- Automatic transmission
- Rear-wheel drive configuration
- Previous MOT undertaken in 2021 passed with no advisories
- Vehicle has only covered a mere 24 miles in the last two years, and may require some light recommissioning due to sitting idle
- Currently the vehicle will not start, however the owner states that the battery is flat because it hasn't been driven
- Owner states that a fresh service would be advantageous to help the car get back up to its usual great health
- No known issues with the suspension, steering or brakes
The SL will forever be held in high regard. A smash hit with classic car collectors, and the epitome of opulent roadsters of its era, this would make a wonderful addition to anyone's home. With the potential for this 350SL to become a quick and easy project, there is certainly a lot of value in the original and solid base already present.
Are you ready to be rolling around in one of the most beautiful cars to ever roll out of the German marques factory?
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions