- Iconic Japanese sports GT
- Last year of production
- Distinctive Orange Mist Metallic paintwork
- Original factory specification throughout
- T-bar model
- NOVA documentation and ready to be registered in the UK
Still bearing it’s predecessors sporting credentials, the sleek Datsun 280ZX followed in the tracks of the Z from 1978-1983 and is more of a ‘grown up’ grand-tourer rather than an out-and-out sports car. Very successful for Datsun, an impressive 57,260 cars were sold in the U.S.
From the long bonnet and air-scoops to the sloping fastback and spoiler, this last of the line ZX looks the part in it’s period coat of Orange Mist paint and is certainly a rare sight on U.K. roads.
Although not perfect, it appears to be very sound and complete, and with a little TLC, should become an appreciating and enjoyable classic to own.
THE HISTORY AND PAPERWORK
- Last owner in Oman owned it since 2006
- Vin plate in-situ
- Imported from Oman in 2022
- NOVA documentation
- Ready to be registered in the U.K.
- No valid MOT or tax
- The brown and beige interior is a little tatty
- Steering wheel a little discoloured
- Dash top has been protected by a cover
- Velour and vinyl upholstery protected by plastic covers
- Clear instrumentation cluster
- Air conditioning
- Most electrical equipment is said to operate
- Original Hitachi car stereo deck
- Door cards and handles are worn
- Carpeting is intact
- Complete headlining, lighting and trim
- Huge and tidy boot space
- Resprayed Orange Mist metallic with some signs of blistering (see photos)
- Smooth bodywork with no obvious damage
- Presentable glass and mirrors
- Undamaged and clear lights
- Nice chrome trim
- Acceptable bumpers
- Extremely clean undersealed chassis and floor
- Minimal surface corrosion underneath
- Factory spec. 14” 6J painted alloys
- Four Mastercraft Avenger G/T 215/70 R14 tyres with decent tread
- Clean engine bay with good maintenance access
- The bonnet spring is weak
- Intact Vin plate on the bulkhead
- 2,753cc L28 (E) six-cylinder SOHC engine
- Factory figures of 145 bhp with a top speed of 124 mph
- Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection
- 5-speed transmission
- NACA ducting system
- Cruise control
- Power-assisted rack and pinion steering
- Standard suspension
- Factory specification disc brakes all round
- Steel exhaust with some corrosion
This ZX started and ran smoothly on the day of the photoshoot. Unfortunately we don’t have access to any maintenance records so can’t confirm the condition of the mechanicals or when they were last serviced.
As mentioned, the car will need to be road registered by the new owner in the U.K.
Representing the last year of 280ZX production, this highly original and indestructible GT is loaded with Japanese reliability and enduring performance.
With ample carrying space, it could be run as a daily driver or indeed restored to it’s former glory.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions