- Prepared for the competitive 944 Turbo Cup series and raced in period
- Collection of archive material depicting the car competing in period
- Impeccably presented throughout
- De-liveried although still a single seater and equipped with its roll cage
Amongst the most competitive one car race series of the 1980s was created especially for specially prepared Porsche 944 Turbos. Five Championships were held around the globe and it proved a popular event both for spectators and entrants. For Porsche, the series proved the capability of its front engined, water-cooled 944. This took some doing when the company had spent most of its existence convincing buyers that the rear engined, air-cooled formula was the way to go…
We’re delighted to offer this excellent example, raced in the South African 944 Turbo Cup in period. Not only does it remain in fantastic overall condition, it is also accompanied by archive photographs depicting the car competing in period. While now without a livery, it retains its single seat layout and all the additional performance and safety equipment originally fitted for racing. There’s even a copy of the original specification identifying features such as its factory limited-slip differential.
For those seeking an historic racing car from a highly regarded series, be sure not to miss this excellent opportunity.
The History and Paperwork
- Originally ordered with Turbo Cup equipment from Porsche (754)
- Copy of the original specification sheet included
- 944 Turbo World Cup results sheet from Kyalami, SA
- Various period photographs depict the car competing in the Panasonic Cup and some of those who were involved in racing it
- Single Recaro competition seat fitted
- Conventional three-point seat belts and racing harness fitted
- Full roll cage
- Momo sport steering wheel
- Conventional 944 dashboard still in very good condition
- Carpeted in black and all still in great shape
- Retains a headlining, also in fine condition
As a competition car, naturally weight saving was situated at the top of the agenda and as such there’s not a great deal in the way of creature comforts when it comes to this Porsche’s interior. That said, it is still carpeted and retains the full original 944 dashboard. No passenger seat is currently fitted although it would appear one could be added if required and likely has been in the past as there is a seatbelt and the channels in the floor ready to receive it.
As for competition equipment, there’s a full roll cage and a Recaro racing seat with harness. All appears in very good condition and has clearly been cherished during recent years.
- White paintwork, as it wore in period
- No current race livery
- Teledial alloy wheels finished in white and in good order overall
- Original ‘turbo’ badging
- Straight bodywork and very presentable paintwork
- As befits a racing car, it was originally optioned without paint or chrome preservation and with a ‘Securiflex’ film windscreen
Most competition cars start to look a little tired as you examine them closely but not soi with this 944. Great care has evidently been lavished upon over the years and so the paint and bodywork are both really smart. There appear to be no notable blemishes besides the usual small marks accrued with age and there’s certainly no sign of accident damage or corrosion to the bodywork. It retains white paintwork, as it had when racing in period although no livery is currently applied.
- Factory limited-slip differential and ABS
- 2.5-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine
- Five-speed manual gearbox
- Beautifully presented under the bonnet
Depending on series requirements, various mechanical specifications were altered with these 944s so the exact specification of this one is not known however they were all suitably uprated in readiness for the racetrack with upgrades including a strengthened chassis, improved cooling and a more robust turbocharger.
All presents impeccably under the bonnet of this example and we understand it to be similarly healthy mechanically. Reportedly running and driving well, this well sorted 944 is sure to offer a thrilling drive.
Hailing from one of the late twentieth century’s most exciting race series, this 944 Turbo has a great story to tell and we’re sure there are plenty of people who’d like to return it to the racetrack in some form or another. Offered in fantastic condition and with a great selection of period archive material, this would be a fabulous addition to any collection of historic competition cars.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.