Vendor supplied images
- Beautifully preserved inside, out and underneath
- Exhibits a pleasing patina to its paintwork
- Supplied new to the United States in left-hand drive
- The engine reportedly runs very well following a recent water pump replacement
- The last and most advanced of the Austin Healey line
Perhaps ironically for a country that experiences so much rainfall, for many years Great Britain was the undisputed king of the convertible sports car. With a powerful straight-six engine, rakish styling and of course, a fabric roof, the Austin Healey 3000 was an enormous sales success, especially in the United States where upwards of ninety percent of MkIIIs were exported during certain years.
Here we have one such BJ8 which was sent to America in left-hand drive straight out of the factory. Now in Italy, this ‘Big Healey’ remains in lovely condition with some charming patina to its older paintwork. Presented in full working order and reportedly driving very well, this is an excellent opportunity to acquire a rather charming sports car.
The History and Paperwork
- Originally supplied to the United States in left-hand drive
- Now registered in Italy
- The vendor advises that it is due an oil / filter service, although is otherwise ready to use
There is some confusion concerning exactly when this particular example was made. Its VIN confirms that it is a BJ8 MkIII Austin Healey and likely a "Phase II". While we understand it to be currently registered as a 1962 car, this is not technically possible and so it was likely manufactured between 1964 and 1967.
- Left-hand drive from new
- Blue vinyl upholstery with white piping
- Wooden dashboard, which was updated for the launch of the BJ8
- Period sprung sports steering wheel
- All the carpets seem in good order, with a little wear
- The dashboard presents well, as do all the instruments and switches
- No excessive wear or damage that we could discern
This Healey’s interior all looks to be in very good condition, with some nice age to without being excessively worn. We didn’t spot any modifications and all appears correct. It remains left-hand drive, so has never been converted. The BJ8 was fitted with a wooden dashboard, which distinguishes its interior from early models. This moved some of the instruments to more convenient locations, making these cars very usable.
- Attractive blue paintwork
- Gently patinated but not heavily worn
- No serious corrosion evident to the body or chassis
- Very straight, with no notable panel damage
- The doors still fit well and the panels seem to align nicely
- Handsome chrome wire wheels in very good condition
- Some of the chrome on the bumpers is now pitted
- All the badging present well
- Soft top roof in excellent order
- Equipped with a boot lid mounted luggage rack
Having been away from the UK all of its life, this Austin Healey has clearly avoided the dampness and salty roads which means its body and chassis are both beautifully preserved. While the paintwork and chrome is a little worn and deteriorated with age, we enjoy the patina which makes this a very usable example. There’s no signs of corrosion or notable damage, the soft top roof looks in good order and the doors fit well.
- 2.9-litre petrol straight-six
- SU HD8 carburettors
- Four-speed manual gearbox
- Recent new water pump
- Presents well under the bonnet
- Said to be running and driving very well
- The vendor advises an oil / filter change is due
These Austin Healey’s offer an engaging driving experience, with the late examples in particular benefiting from increased performance with SU HD8 and an uprated high-lift camshaft. We’re informed that this example runs really well, with ample performance and fine handling. It benefits from the fitment of a new water pump, although the vendor says it is due an oil / filter change.
This is a very smart Austin Healey 3000 MkIII that’s in very usable condition. We love the gentle patina it has accrued over the years and we’re sure it will be cherished for a long time to come.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions