Vendor supplied images
- Circa 200bhp 2.0 Ford Zetec engine
- High spec
- Full roll cage and weather protection
- Masses of paperwork including original purchase receipt
- Current registered keeper for over 22 years and only 1 registered former keeper
Believe it or not, the Caterham 7 celebrates a continuous 50-year production run this year, making it one of the most long-serving, enduring cars of all-time.
Based on the 1956-72 Lotus Seven, the Caterham has been offered as either a kit or a fully completed car for the past five decades. This one is from bang in the middle of that – a 1996 car with a Ford 2.0-litre Zetec engine, it’s a properly registered car (not a Q-plate) and has been kept as a weekend toy by its previous owner.
It comes with a stack of bills and paperwork, much I from well-known companies who such as a roll cage installation and suspension set-up from well-established Caterham racing team Fauldsport, uprated camshaft installation and engine tuning by Ric Wood, and head work and various ancillaries supplied by Raceline.
It’s the perfect fun time car for those long summer evenings ahead.
THE HISTORY AND PAPERWORK
- UK V5C
- MOT April 2024
- Odometer currently showing circa 3,500 miles however it is believed to have covered circa 10,500 miles since being built.
- Cherished registration L7 MEF included in sale
- Vast pile of documentation including invoices, old MOTs and Caterham assembly guide.
- Includes two sets of wheels and tyres
- Original bill of sale from 1996
- Four-point harnesses
- Caterham Roadsports roll cage
- Carbon-fibre dashboard
- Mychron MXL Pista digital data logging dashboard showing G sensors, revs, speed, water temperature, oil pressure, battery condition and miles, fitted at the same time as the Zetec engine
- Caterham Tillet fibreglass seats
- Quick release Momo steering wheel
- Bare alloy body with black nose cone and arches
- Full roof frame and external roll cage
- Black windscreen surround
- Full weather gear
- Some cracks on the fibreglass arches and general patina / wear to the body
- 2.0 Ford Zetec engine, rebuilt circa 2001 with a new short block - fuel injected and producing circa 200bhp
- DTA 3D ECU
- The vendor reports some smoke from the exhaust on idle which may be due to the ECU set-up or lack of use
- Jenvey throttle bodies
- Piper 285 cams
- Raceline prepared cylinder head - ported and skimmed for increased compression ratios
- ARP con rod bolts
- Raceline wet sump
- Raceline water rail
- Raceline lightweight flywheel
- Raceline reduction gear starter motor
- Radtec aluminium radiator
- Oil catch tank
- Lightweight drycell sealed battery
- Raceline 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
- Raceco Titanium Silencer
- Aluminium transmission bell housing
- Quaife five-speed straight cut gearbox
- Ford viscous 3.92 ratio limited slip diff
- Caterham M1 race Bilstein dampers with adjustable height platforms (corner weighted for 85kg driver)
- Caterham wide-track front suspension
- Caterham four-pot AP 'big brakes' and 'big' master cylinder
- 13" Minilite-syle wheels (black centre, silver rim)
- Yokohama medium compound 32R tyres
- The car starts and drives with no obvious faults being evident other than those noted however this vehicle is being auctioned as needing a good going over before any use as there may be faults which are not noted
If you want four-wheeled fun, then you can’t get many more smiles per mile than you can get from a Caterham. Basic they may be, but they’re also unbelievably entertaining to drive and this one is a bit of a weapon, with around 400bhp per tonne.
It’s a perfect summer plaything or track day companion as well as an all-time classic sports car.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only*.** Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.*
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions