• A rare UK registered example of the sought-after BMW Z3
• A pristine, almost factory-fresh example with low mileage and low owners
• Professionally adapted via supercharger to provide a dyno-verified 322bhp
In the UK this rare and appealing coupe-profiled Z3 was only officially available in the guise of the Z3M. In the metal it is a very attractive, well-resolved and surprisingly compact design. The build quality of this era of BMW is of bank vault standards too.
This example is really hard to fault in terms of external, internal and mechanical condition. It also benefits from specialist, professional conversion to produce a supercharged 322bhp, the same as the Z3M, as verified by dyno.
The History and Paperwork
• A Z3 Coupe originally supplied by BMW main dealers to Holland in 2001
• The original owner moved to the UK in 2005 and brought the car with him
• The car was registered in the UK in that year
• The original owner retained the car until 2016 when it was bought by a car collector
• From that point until today the car has been dry stored and used only very lightly
• It is believed that the car has only covered a shade over 3,000 kms since 2016
• The current owner bought the car in January 2022 when the car collector looked to downsize his collection
• The current owner bought the car for his wife to use but she does not favour the LHD configuration
• The car comes with a sizeable history file, just a selection of which we have photographed here
• Key documents include the UK V5 and current MOT devoid of advisories – valid to April 2023
• The original Dutch book pack is present including stamped service book
• A document detailing the verified mileage – stated at a shade over 45,000 – due to a change to an MPH speedo at import to the UK in 2005
• Numerous invoices and bills for work undertaken including details of the engine upgrade to its current 322bhp around 5,000 miles ago
• The interior of this rare Z3 coupe is presented in pristine, almost factory-fresh, condition and typical of the quality of BMW interiors at the turn of the century
• Dressed in black leather with matching carpets, door cards and dash capping
• The tombstone leather seats are in excellent condition and are both heated and electrically adjustable
• The boot is also pristine, and the boot floor conceals the original and extensive tool kit which is complete and appears to have never been used
• The interior is well appointed too and features electric windows, air conditioning, electric sunroof and electric mirrors
• Both the steering wheel and the gear knob feature “M-series” branding
The condition of this very typical BMW interior is excellent. It is of the highest quality too, with only top-quality materials being used.
The tombstone seats are very supportive, and the electrical adjustment and heating help ensure that the new owner will be very comfortable in this Z3 coupe.
• Finished in pristine metallic silver paintwork
• The paintwork appears to be original and is deep and lustrous in true BMW style
• The bodywork appears to be entirely free from any notable imperfections
• Panel gaps are almost military grade and doors, bonnet and boot all open and close with precision and ease
• Light lenses both front and back are unmarked and appear original to the car
• All glasswork presents in excellent condition with no issues noted or reported
• The amazing 7.5J x 17 (8.5J x 17 at the rear) – inch split rim, BMW alloy wheels are in excellent condition and free from any dings or kerb rash
• At the front the large, red powder coated Brembo callipers can be seen acting against the vented disks
• Tyres are high quality Pirelli P Zeros all round
• The brightwork – window and radiator surrounds, exhaust tips and rear hatch handle – is in good condition
The coupe version of the Z3 is an unusual design and much more distinctive than the equivalent convertible. The elongated, hatchback cabin and forward slanting grills in the flanks lend the car a purposeful air.
So distinctive is the shape it has a number of nicknames such as “bread van,” “clown shoe” or “turnschuh” (sports shoe in German). Whatever the name, it’s a great looking car and widely considered as a design classic.
• The Z3 Coupe is fitted with the 3L M54B30 inline six engine
• Power is fed to the rear wheels via a five speed Getrag gearbox
• Around 5,000 miles ago, in its previous ownership, the car underwent a professional conversion to a supercharged set up
• This delivers a dyno-verified 322bhp, one more than the claimed factory power of the Z3m coupe
• The low mileage, light use, service history and recent professional engine enhancement means this car is reported to be in excellent mechanical condition throughout
With a total of only 165 UK specification Z3M’s produced, the previous owner of this car decided to enhance the car’s output to the same level as the Z3M.
This was done by a professional and fastidious conversion to a supercharged configuration. This makes for a very rapid car, but not at the expense of tractability or usability.
Essentially this is a completely unique car. A Z3 Coupe, already a very rare model especially on these shores, with subtle enhancements to bring the car up to a power output equivalent to the Z3M. It’s a very special thing. It's rightfully recognised as a design classic, seeming to encapsulate the zeitgeist of the arrival of the 21st century.
It is in amazing condition too. All aspects of this car – interior, exterior and mechanicals – are very hard to fault. This is an opportunity to acquire a rare, fast, useable and pristine BMW Coupe the likes of which you may never see again.
Notice to bidders
Although every care is taken to ensure this listing is as factual and transparent as possible, all details within the listing are subject to the information provided to us by the seller. Car & Classic does not take responsibility for any information missing from the listing. Please ensure you are satisfied with the vehicle description and all information provided before placing a bid.
As is normal for most auctions, this vehicle is sold as seen, and therefore the Sale of Goods Act 1979 does not apply. All bids are legally binding once placed. Any winning bidder who withdraws from a sale, is subject to our bidders fee charge. Please see our FAQs and T&C's for further information. Viewings of vehicles are encouraged, but entirely at the seller's discretion.
Please see our FAQ's
and our Terms & Conditions