Located in the USA... no salt on roads....
1968 Excalibur SS Roadster Series I - US-specs...
$54, 900... USD dollars very FIRM..
Red over Black
Muncie four-speed manual
1968 Excalibur SS Roadster Series I
• Comes from a private collector in Colorado, owned since 1984!
• One of only 37 Excalibur SSK Roadsters produced in 1968
• “The Contemporary Classic” automobile, with classic looks and modern reliability
• Built on custom steel frames and utilized Chevrolet Corvette drive train and suspension
• 300HP Chevrolet 327 CID V-8 engine breathing via dual exhausts
• Muncie four-speed manual transmission and 3. 31 gearing
• Red over black exterior with red interior
• Rear luggage rack and rear-mounted spare tire with wheel
• Wire wheels, single foglight, dual horns and wood-rimmed steering wheel
• 109-inch wheelbase and front disc brakes
Are neo-classic cars with Corvette powered V-8 torque matched with a 4 speed manual your thing? Do you love being the center of attention at stop signs, traffic lights and at car shows? We have true rarity you might want to consider adding to your collection!
Taking inspiration from the classic pre-war lines of Mercedes-Benz sports cars, the Excalibur Automobile Corporation was established in 1964 by Brooks Stevens in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They produced what was at the time labeled “The Contemporary Classic” automobile, with classic looks and modern reliability.
- This 1968 model is an example of a Series I Excalibur, one of only 37 Excalibur SSK Roadsters produced in 1968!
- It comes from a private collector in Colorado who owned this SS Roadster since 1984!
- It’s finished in red over black wings and the paint and trim are in very good order. Its tubular, chrome bumpers are in great shape, its Super Start battery looks great and the engine bay is very tidy.
This neoclassic rolls on BFGoodrich Radial T/ As, size 225/ 70R15 at every corner. Each tire is mounted onto a wire wheel.
The rear-mounted spare has the identical set-up. There’s also a luggage rack over the spare tire with enough space for weekend getaway luggage.
- V-8 engines are usually the motive power choice in Excaliburs and this one is no different.
= It has a 300HP Chevrolet 327 CID V-8.
- The motor is bolted to a Muncie four-speed manual transmission and a 3. 31:1 rear end.
- There’s a single foglight up front, below a pair of Sparton horns. Inside, the red interior is in overall very good order, while the matching carpet is in good, original shape.
- A wood-rimmed, three-spoke steering wheel helps set off the interior.
- A full array of gauges is inset in the dash face, which is trimmed in faux wood. The inner door liners match the rest of the interior and there’s a Hurst floor-mounted shifter atop the transmission tunnel.
- Rounding out the interior is a Blaupunkt AM/ FM stereo with a cassette deck mounted on the passenger side of the car.
Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Brooks Stevens was an industrial designer, as well as a graphic designer and stylist.
His prolific career spanned several industries as diverse as automobiles and motorcycles to home furnishings and appliances.
As an automobile designer, Stevens worked at Studebaker during the company's last years. In 1962, he redesigned the Gran Turismo Hawk.
While at Studebaker, Stevens conceived the idea of building a modern car in the image of a vintage car. A fiberglass replica of a 1927 Mercedes-Benz body was created, then mated to a modified Lark Daytona convertible chassis. Named the Studebaker SS, power was from a supercharged 289 V-8, the same engine available in the Studebaker Avanti.
Displayed at the New York Auto Show in 1964, the two-seat roadster generated enough interest to begin taking pre-orders for 56 cars. Unfortunately, Studebaker's financial situation worsened, and the South Bend, Indiana factory was forced to close its doors.
Later in 1964, Stevens and his sons David and William took over the Excalibur's production and formed their own corporation, SS Automobiles Inc. They began building and selling the car as the Excalibur.
The revised two-seat roadster rode on the same 109" wheelbase as the original concept car. Fiberglass bodies would be a feature on all Excalibur models.
The Studebaker Lark chassis continued for a while, but the Studebaker engine was replaced with a small-block Chevy V8. Producing 300 horsepower, the 327 Chevy motor was the same as in current Corvettes, making the Excalibur a strong performer. With a 2, 100-pound curb weight and standard 3. 31 rear axle ratio, acceleration from 0-60 mph was less than six seconds.
Taking an Excalibur out for a spin is an experience unmatched by most other cars. Get ready for smiles, waves and to answer a lot of questions, even if you’re simply at a red light. Bringing an Excalibur to a local car show or cruise night might just net you the most attention. If you’re ready for to take the plunge, stop by MotoeXotica Classic Cars today to check this car over!
This car is currently located at our facility in St. Louis, Missouri. Current mileage on the odometer shows 26, 538 miles.
It is sold as is, where is, on a clean and clear, mileage exempt Colorado title.
GET OUT AND DRIVE!!!?
Note: Please see full terms and conditions listed below that pertain to the purchase of any said vehicle, thank you.
** SHOWN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY **
- Trades welcome. Financing available. Worldwide shipping accommodated.
Can be exported at your cost or about $1, 500 dollars to the UK port in 4 weeks...
- Serious collectors please... more pics coming and on request... please contact us with a message seller for on this ad.. stz
Thanks for looking
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise.
Please see the list below for similar live adverts
Rare 1969 Excalibur Series I SS Phaeton with Desirable Cycle Fenders This rare 1969 Excalibur Series I SS Phaeton with desirable cycle fenders is an excellent original example and a strong driver. Attractive and elegant light yellow with black interior. 327 V8 and automatic. A very straight, clean, solid, and honest ...
- 27 Aug 2022
1976 Excalibur SS Series III Phaeton, finished in Arctic White with Beige leather piped red. The Excalibur automobile was a car styled after the 1928 Mercedes-Benz SSK by Brooks Stevens for Studebaker. Stevens subsequently formed a company to manufacture and market the cars, which were a standard Studebaker car with special ...
- 13 Sep 2022
Rare and Sought-After 1968 Excalibur Series I SS Roadster: One of Only 37 Built This 1968 Excalibur Series I SS Roadster is a beautiful example that runs and drives great. Stunning red over black interior, this rare Series I SS is one of only 37 built and shows just 15k miles which are believed to be original. A solid ...
- 25 Sep 2022
1982 Excalibur Series IV Phaeton 1982 Excalibur Series IV PhaetonCompletly assembled by hand!The Excalibur is a first-class road machine, and is also considered as very exclusive.Handcrafted in Milwaukee, United States.This powerful V8 engine runs perfectly and the automatic transmission shifts comfortably.So every ride ...
- 14 Aug 2022
Excalibur Series 3 Phaeton | Rare | Hand built | 1978 Highlights: - Rare - Hand built - 4-seater cabriolet - 7.4 Ltr. V8 engine - Automatic gearbox Rare Excalibur Series 3 Phaeton The Excalibur is a hand built luxury classic made in America. The design of this classic is inspired by the Mercedes-Benz SSK ...
- 22 Sep 2022
VEICOLO VISIONABILE SU APPUNTAMENTO PRESSO LA SEDE LINK MOTORS REGGIO EMILIA LINK MOTORS REGGIO EMILIA Via Elico De Pietri, 1/R 42123 Reggio Emilia (RE) Tel. 0522548531 Cell. 3666861431 Email: [email protected] Web: www.linkmotors.it EXCALIBUR PHAETON 2 Omologata e targa oro ASI. Vettura artigianale ...
- 24 Sep 2022
VEICOLO VISIONABILE PRESSO LA FILIALE: Link Motors - BERGAMO ---------------- Proponiamo in VENDITA: Bellissima EXCALIBUR PHAETON Bicolor in PERFETTE CONDIZIONI immatricolata nel 1977 con 82000 Km. Veicolo di interesse Storico Inscritta all'ASI. - Carburante: BENZINA / - Porte: 3 / - Posti: 4 - Cilindrata: 7450 cc ...
- 24 Sep 2022
1976 Excalibur Phaeton For Sale 1976 Excalibur Phaeton. Only 173 of these were made in 1976. This vehicle comes with a 454 V8 engine with an automatic transmission. Runs and drives and we have also done some work to the vehicle. We just replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the carburetor, installed new spark plugs and installed ...
- 27 Sep 2022