If you ask most people to close their eyes and imagine a Rolls Royce, they will picture a Silver Shadow. Introduced in 1965, the model brought the brand up to date with unitary construction, disk brakes, independent rear suspension and hydrolastic suspension licensed from Citroen to help to provide its legendary ride quality.
This example has been the apple of its owner’s eye since 1979 and is only coming to market after a year of agonising over whether he is ready to let it go. It has seen light use only over the its last 15 years in Spain but has been regularly maintained regardless and, although there are a few items to attend to in order to return it to its very best condition, in general it is wearing its years very well and should make its next owner equally proud.
The History and Paperwork
• Reluctant sale after over 40 years of ownership, within a collection of 5 other vehicles.
• Has covered just 1500 miles in last 9 years
• Purchased 1979 from a doctor with a private practice who decided to sell after his receptionist advised him that his patients in the waiting room, seeing this new luxury car become a regular fixture outside the practice, were pondering aloud to each other what a fortune he must be making from them to afford such a car!
• Inspected prior to purchase by a Rolls Royce mechanic
• Resprayed a few years ago, with owner’s initialled hand painted on driver’s door
• Coming to market due to the owner’s age and mobility
• Owner’s manual is present in original red leather folder
• Selection of old MOT certificates
• Service book shows full main dealer history up to 1979
• Invoices from various independents in the UK up to its export to Spain in 2007
• Looked after by the same mechanic in Spain for the last 15 years, though he’s better at spannering than providing paperwork
• Has passed the Spanish MOT equivalent, the ITV with only minor advisories. Current ticket expires Feb 2022.
• Upholstered in Beige Connolly leather with a black dash top
• Never restored and very original
• Leather regularly cleaned and fed
• Original lambswool overmats for passengers
• Bootlid latch needs attention
The cabin of a Rolls Royce is always a special place to be and so it proves here. With his advancing years, the owner has been able to drive the car less and less and so in order to maintain his connection with it, he has been spending his time cleaning and maintaining the interior.
This means that, although completely original, the seller reports that it remains in better condition than you might expect. Sure, there is some patina on the seats and a couple of marks, believed to be paint spots, green on the driver’s side rear door handle and white on the otherwise unmarked headlining. But the wood trim is all in great condition and all of the buttons, dials and switches work, although the aircon would benefit from being regassed. There is one minor addition to the equipment which is a rear parking sensor with a display above the mirror but it’s a very discreet installation.
Inside the cavernous boot there has unfortunately been a leak of battery acid at some point which means that the boot needs some work to bring it up to the condition of the rest of the interior. The latch on the boot is also currently inoperable, although the weight of the bootlid means that it stays in place at the low speeds at which the car is generally driven these days. The passenger compartment, however, remains a credit both to Rolls Royce and the careful stewardship that it has obviously received since.
• Always kept garaged under cover
• Burgundy coachwork, resprayed about 15 years ago and owner’s initials hand painted on driver’s door
• Small scrape on the passenger side rear quarter
• Scratches to rear bumper on driver’s side but chrome otherwise mirror-like
• Some damage to paintwork due to a clumsy attempt to force the bonnet open
• Seller reports no obvious sign of corrosion
While the exterior may be showing its age a little more than the interior, the car still presents very well and the seller reports that there is no sign of the ‘frilly’ bodywork that can characterise Silver Shadows of this era. The car has had a respray about 15 years ago which is holding up well with a deep lustre to the paintwork. However, there are a few marks listed above which need to be attended to in order to ensure that it looks its very best.
There is a small 50p size paint bubble on rear boot lid, hardly visible, just bubble no cracking along with some other minor nicks and scratches on the exterior - see photos.
The wheels are all in good condition with good tread on the tyres all round, though the limited mileage in recent years may mean that they are ageing by now. Underneath shows a little surface corrosion but living in a warm climate seems to have helped to avoid anything that would trouble the ITV testers.
• Very original engine bay with the quilting still in place on the underside of the bonnet
• Starts, stops and steers exactly as you would hope
• Two small advisories on the ITV: a minor oil leak from the lower engine and unequal brake force
• Smooth and quiet on the road
The Silver Shadow is deservedly famed for its refinement and the seller reports that this example does not disappoint. It starts first time and drives with supreme smoothness, pulling well and slurring the gear changes to make them barely noticeable. On the move there is almost total silence with only a purr from the engine when the accelerator is pressed.
A well-cared for example of the popular Rolls Royce model that, with a few items addressed, should be in prime condition and ready to transport its new owner in style.
Notice to bidders
Although every care is taken to ensure this listing is as factual and transparent as possible, all details within the listing are subject to the information provided to us by the seller. Car & Classic does not take responsibility for any information missing from the listing. Please ensure you are satisfied with the vehicle description and all information provided before placing a bid.
As is normal for most auctions, this vehicle is sold as seen, and therefore the Sale of Goods Act 1979 does not apply. All bids are legally binding once placed. Any winning bidder who withdraws from a sale, is subject to our bidders fee charge. Please see our FAQs and T&C's for further information. Viewings of vehicles are encouraged, but entirely at the seller's discretion.
Please see our FAQ's here and our Terms & Conditions here
The max bid process allows you to bid without any hassle.
Enter your maximum bid and we will then bid on your behalf to ensure you're the highest bidder - just enough to keep you in the lead and only up until your maximum.
C&C prevent auction snipers from bidding in the last seconds to win an auction.
Auctions are extended by 5-minutes if anyone bids within the last 2 minutes to allow other bidders to react and counter-bid.
If your maximum bid is equal to or below the reserve price, your maximum bid will be applied in full if you are the highest bidder.
If you are the highest bidder and place a maximum bid above the reserve, we will automatically put in the reserve as your first bid.
Once the reserve has been met, Car & Classic will make sure you are the highest bidder using only the bidding increments stated below.
We will keep you in the lead up until your maximum bid OR the increment closest to your maximum bid, providing your maximum bid is enough to cover the increment value.
£0 to £10,000
£10,000 to £50,000
Automatically outbid immediately
When you place a max bid and are outbid immediately that means that another bidder has placed a max bid limit which is higher than yours. You can bid again and we will use our automatic bid system to try and get you as the highest bidder.
Matching max bids
When there are two max bids of the same value, the one placed first remains the lead bidder.
Watch this auction
Get notified when the auction is starting, and half an hour before it ends.
Problem with your bid
Bids are contractually binding. To help protect you, we have some rules in place if we think it's been mistyped. Please check and amend what you have entered.