- One of only 602 cars made in 1992
- Just 60,281 miles from new
- Powerful 4.3-litre V8 powertrain
- Handsome green-over-tan specification
- Comprehensive history file
If you’re after a genuine British muscle car, then you look no further than that haven of tyre smoke, brutal performance and general lunacy that was TVR. Embracing the Chapman-esque notion of keeping things light and simple, TVRs were generally built of fibreglass on a steel frame, and featured as few driving aids as possible.
Unlike Lotus, however, TVR generally then went on to shoehorn in the largest and most powerful engines they could lay their hands on. Cue much laying of ‘elevens’ and the kind of chest-crushing performance for which they are now renowned.
Launched in 1992, the Griffith happily embodied this spirit of barely caged madness, with a lightweight body being propelled by a monstrous 4-litre V8. Quickly this was complemented by the even mightier 4.3-litre V8, such as we see here. This example presents in fine condition, with an extensive history file and a truly lovely specification. As a way to etch a permanent grin on your visage, not much beats a Griffith, and we’re very jealous of whoever next owns this delightfully unhinged machine.
The History and Paperwork
- First registered in October 1992
- Five owners from new
- Current owners since May 2021
- Only used in summer by the vendor, and kept under cover and dry the rest of the time
- Regularly started and rolled when not in use
- Only about 2,500 made in total, with just 602 of those being 1992 cars
- Just 60,281 miles from new, verified by MOT and service record
- Comprehensive service record, with 17 stamps in the book and a large collection of invoices detailing maintenance
- Last service on record in May 2022
- Owner’s handbook included
- Light tan leather upholstery – presenting in fine overall condition, with some gentle creasing and patina to the seats, commensurate with the car’s age and mileage
- Dark green carpeting, with tan leather edge binding, all showing in very good order with no significant wear we could see
- Smart stainless steel gear knob and ‘Personal’ sports steering wheel offer a motorsport vibe
- Handsome wood veneer dash fascia shows no evidence of cracking, warping or delamination
- Electric windows and door mirrors
- The car is fitted with an anti-theft alarm
- Panasonic radio/cassette system, with boot-mounted CD changer
- Handy luggage shelf behind the front seats
- Surprisingly spacious boot area, trimmed in grey carpet and containing a spacesaver spare wheel with a soft cover
- Highly attractive dark green paintwork, apparently original and unrestored
- The paintwork shows some light swirling in places, and a number of minor stone chips and scratches – some of which are touched in – but no serious damage or wear we could discern
- Looking at the fibreglass bodywork, all looks to be in fine fettle, with no cracking or misalignment apparent
- The car features a black fabric roof which appears to be in good shape, looking taut and clean with just a couple of small patches of wear
- Underneath, the car looks to be solid and straight, with no obvious damage or major corrosion on show – just some light surface corrosion in a few places, as you’d expect
- It is riding on the correct factory alloys – a set of five-spoke, 15-inch items that wear a silver finish and show no signs of kerbing or lacquer peel
- The wheels are shod in a matched set of Toyo Proxes that look to have decent tread depth on them
- 4,280cc naturally aspirated V8
- Rated at 280bhp and 305lb-ft when new, with a claimed 0-60mph time of 4.7 seconds and a top speed of 161mph
- Manual five-speed transmission
- Rear-wheel drive
- The only minor issue we noted was that the bonnet stay appears to need some repair
- The vendor tells us that the only work they have needed to carry out is to replace a couple of electrical relays
- We’re assured the car has been very reliable, starts and runs well, and drives just as it should
Finished in a deeply attractive colour scheme and presented in fine overall condition, this fearsome V8 powered sports car has all the muscle, drama and character you could possibly want. If you’re looking for the kind of visceral experience that lodges in the mind for all time, then this TVR has to be considered.
Notice to bidders
This item is sold on an ‘As is Where is’ basis. The condition of this item is the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. Photos and listing descriptions are for guidance purposes only. Car & Classic do not warrant listing accuracy. Full inspection is recommended. Viewings are at the seller’s discretion. Buyer is responsible for delivery and collection of any item purchased.
UK-registered cars and motorbikes on Car & Classic are run through an online HPI check. On the HPI report, this vehicle shows no insurance database markers for damage or theft. It is currently not covered by a finance agreement.
A non-refundable buyer’s deposit is payable on this item, refer to FAQs and T&Cs for the applicable percentage.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions