- Just 9,342 kilometres from new, having been owned by a BMW dealership for thirty years
- Highly original and even still sitting upon its original Pirelli tyres!
- Reportedly driving very well indeed
Our roads are awash with homogenous metal boxes, so it’s rather refreshing when a car manufacturer is bold enough to do something a little differently. And the BMW Z1 is a case in point. When developing their new roadster, the clever engineers at BMW must have looked at the humble door and thought, “we can do better”... Therefore, for the ultimate convertible experience, you can drive with not just the roof down, but the doors as well!
Aside from this unconventional and fun feature, the Z1 featured innovative thermoplastic and glass fibre bodywork built upon a rigid steel monocoque. The styling is quite distinctive and its sporting looks were matched by the eager straight-six under the bonnet. This 1991 example has quite the remarkable history, having been owned by a BMW dealership for some thirty years. It has covered a mere 9,342 kilometres since 1991 and the vendor points out that it’s so original that it still wears its original Pirelli tyres!
The History and Paperwork
- Owned by a BMW dealership in La Spezia since new in 1991
- Used sparingly, but enough to keep the mechanicals in order, coving just under 9,000 kilometres in thirty years
- The vendor acquired the car in 2021
- The current odometer reading is 9,342
- Original user manual and service booklet
- Italian registration documentation
- Camouflage-effect seat upholstery
- All the soft furnishing and plastic present very well for their age
- Minimal wear commensurate with the low kilometerage
- All looks to be original, with no modifications in sight
While this is a 32 year-old car now, you wouldn’t think so by looking at the interior. With so few kilometres on the odometer, its interior has very little in the way of wear and no damage that we could see. All looks to be original, unrestored and free from modification. It still has a period correct radio and we understand all the switchgear to be working correctly.
- Metallic green paintwork
- Seven-spoke alloy wheels, still wearing their original tyres
- Some of the thermoplastic / GRP bodywork has cracked with age and will require repair to stabilise it
- We understand the steel monocoque to be in good order and free from corrosion since this car has seen little use and has spent a great deal of its life indoors
- There are also a few small cuffs to the bodywork, which still wears its original paint
- The roof operates correctly, as do the doors
This BMW is very original on the outside too, and so it does show its age in a few places. Some of the thermoplastic and GRP bodywork has cracked with age and will require repair work in order to stabilise it. Otherwise all presents well for its age with just a few small scuffs and scratches around the body. The roof is in good order, folding correctly and those zany doors do their thing too, we’re glad to report.
- 2.5-litre straight-six petrol engine
- Five-speed manual gearbox
- Said to be running and driving very well indeed
BMW are rather good at straight-six engines and the Z1 features their capable M20B25 unit which produces 170 bhp. A five-speed Getrag manual gearbox puts that power down through the rear wheels, and this makes it quite the nimble sports car.
The vendor comments that the steering is particularly fun with this example, making it perfect for navigating those twistier backroads. It is said to run really well, with no faults or untoward noises.
A great many BMW enthusiasts want Z1s in their collections but there are few to go around. This example has covered far fewer kilometres than most and so is a very special machine. Of you’re looking for a characterful modern classic roadster, (or simply can’t stand conventional doors), this Z1 would be a fantastic option.
BEFORE YOU BUY
This sale is subject to the Car & Classic Terms and Conditions. By bidding and/or making an offer, you also agree to the following:
If the seller is registered as a private seller
, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply. Car & Classic’s return policy
A non-refundable deposit
will be payable if you are the winning bidder at auction or if your offer is accepted, refer to FAQs
✓ This vehicle is “Sold As Seen”, on an “As Is, Where Is’ basis and without warranty. A full inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase and bidding is highly recommended. Photos and descriptions are for guidance purposes only.
✓ VAT is included in the buyer's deposit. VAT may or may not be included in the final bid or offer price, as specified in the listing.
✓ Buyers are responsible for vehicle collection
or delivery. Importing vehicles may result in additional customs duties and import taxes. On request, Car & Classic may refer you to a third-party shipping company. For more details, email [email protected]
. Prices start at €150+VAT within the same country or €400+VAT for moves across borders.
Please see our FAQs
and our Terms & Conditions